Meadowhall extension plans

I'll believe it when I see it, and not a minute before.

Meadowhall (well, its owners over time) has been 'planning' that kind of development for over 20 years: there was a full architectural model of 'Bourbon Street' in the management suite foyer in 1993 or 1994.

'Bourbon Street' was to sit on and fully occupy the piece of land across Meadowhall, where Costa and Next now sit (where's BMW then? Weren't they supposed to be on there as well by now?).

It was to look pretty much like an outdoor version of the Oasis (of old), Mediterranean-themed on 2 levels with narrow streets, walkways and balconies, and just full of restaurants, bars and other leisure venues, complete with a multiscreen cinema.

Years before Virgin started knocking Centertainment together.

and before that there was going to be a swimming pool / water park there because there were concerns that the impact of these would have on Ponds Forge and Hillsborough Leisure Centre pools which were being built at the time

Problem will be if they move the existing leisure operators from the Oasis area into the new area, thereby freeing up space for more retail

Unless it's a big extension to the existing Oasis area??

What about the traffic congestion and pollution they were so concerned about when Ikea put their planning proposals forward ?

Since Ikea took them to town over that matter they probably can't attempt the same objection again, British Land can just point to that court case as an example and get the objection shot to bits.

British Land wouldn't.

and it is their (or their investors) money afterall.

Unless it's a big extension to the existing Oasis area??

Since Ikea took them to town over that matter they probably can't attempt the same objection again, British Land can just point to that court case as an example and get the objection shot to bits.

and it is their (or their investors) money afterall.

But the council like nothing better than objecting until they are blue in the face to investment in the city. After all its only council taxpayers money they are wasting.

On this particular occasion I think the council would be right to object.

Meadowhall have well and truly missed the boat on this. They had a chance to build some off site leisure development 20 years ago and chose not to.

Another developer has come along and done it.

It would be absolutely prosperous to have exactly the same sort of facility just yards up the road.

Competition is one things but how many cinema chains really are there. How many restaurants really are there.

They cannot even get different chains attacking the respective developments.

TGI Fridays already has a branch in Meadowhall and on the road outside Meadowhall as do:

McDonalds,

KFC,

Subway,

Nandos,

Pizza Express,

Harvester,

Handmade Burger Co; and

Five Guys

also having branches just over a mile from each other.

We are not central London. There is only realistically so many people wanting American style food, cinemas and bowling alleys at one time. Something would have to give.

Saturation would be an understatement. Its what the supermarkets are finding out to their regret.

Edited by ECCOnoob

On this particular occasion I think the council would be right to object.

Meadowhall have well and truly missed the boat on this. They had a chance to build some off site leisure development 20 years ago and chose not to.

Another developer has come along and done it.

It would be absolutely prosperous to have exactly the same sort of facility just yards up the road.

Competition is one things but how many cinema chains really are there. How many restaurants really are there.

They cannot even get different chains attacking the respective developments.

TGI Fridays already has a branch in Meadowhall and on the road outside Meadowhall as do:

McDonalds,

KFC,

Subway,

Nandos,

Pizza Express,

Harvester,

Handmade Burger Co; and

Five Guys

also having branches just over a mile from each other.

We are not central London. There is only realistically so many people wanting American style food, cinemas and bowling alleys at one time. Something would have to give.

Saturation would be an understatement. Its what the supermarkets are finding out to their regret.

To be fair the parking facilities at Centertainment are woefully inadequate and people will welcome somewhere with decent parking.

The problem is the roads around there. The traffic puts me off going already.

I presume the applicants will have to invest majorly in roads/access also, like IKEA have had to?

To be fair the parking facilities at Centertainment are woefully inadequate and people will welcome somewhere with decent parking.

The problem is the roads around there. The traffic puts me off going already.

I presume the applicants will have to invest majorly in roads/access also, like IKEA have had to?

There is only a problem parking at Centretainment is when there is something on at the arena when everyone tries to park for free.