Meadowhall extension plans

To be fair the parking facilities at Centertainment are woefully inadequate and people will welcome somewhere with decent parking.

The problem is the roads around there. The traffic puts me off going already.

I presume the applicants will have to invest majorly in roads/access also, like IKEA have had to?

I agreed with ECCO (that you quoted), but I also agree with this addition in bold...

The east end of Sheffield is massive and has land coming out of its ears.

However: Absolutely readful road system, especially considering it's so close to the M1. There's no excuse for such poor roads as it was basically a blank canvas, unlike many other big cities, who are far more restricted by space.

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 23:58 ----------

Just to add, not quite on topic, but it's the same thing really.

On RS today, the owners/management of Donny airport were on, and after their 10 minutes of boasting how good it was, they fell apart in 5 seconds when live questions were fired at them, like why is parking so crap there/ picking up or dropping off?

They came out with 'we're comparable with other airports around the country'.

What a **** answer! Airports are generally dreadful places to drive to, so why not do what the others AREN'T doing?

His answer, was, the car parking is dealt with by ***** parking, and we can't control that.

The morons are taking over, I've said it for years.

To be fair the parking facilities at Centertainment are woefully inadequate and people will welcome somewhere with decent parking.

The problem is the roads around there. The traffic puts me off going already.

I presume the applicants will have to invest majorly in roads/access also, like IKEA have had to?

I fully agree that the parking is totally inadequate at Centertainment and they employ a parasite private parking company to rip off their own customers, I hope the Meadowhall extension is built and puts it out of business.

Don't bite the hand that feeds.

I fully agree that the parking is totally inadequate at Centertainment and they employ a parasite private parking company to rip off their own customers, I hope the Meadowhall extension is built and puts it out of business.

Don't bite the hand that feeds.

Firstly, what makes you think that a Meadowhall owned development would have better parking facilities than Centertainment?

Free parking is an excellent way of bringing customers and increasing footfall BUT parking spaces dont pay rent. At some point in the planning there has to be a line. If masses of parking space starts to take up potentially rent paying tenant space then it wont be built, even more so if a large section of such parking space is not needed 5 out of 7 days a week. Land is not infinite and sometimes, peak times happen, no matter how many spaces you have demand can outweigh provision and they get full.

Meadowhall Centre itself has over 12,000 spaces but how many times on a Saturday or Bank Holiday do we all have to circle round and round looking for a free spot. How many times do we get stuck in the queues filtering out of the narrow parking roadways and traffic lights. Should I be screaming that Meadowhall parking is "inadequate"

Secondly, Meadowhall and their Retail Park have exactly the same type of parasite parking company fining or as you say "ripping off" customers in exactly the same way. Do you really think any new Meadowhall development would be exempt from that?

Edited by ECCOnoob

compared to westfield and westfield stratford meadowhall is very dated and the big project i feel is to make space big enough for john lewis which they want

Any major extension to the shopping floor area would need a big shop. There are already empty units for smaller shops. John Lewis is the only one I can think of that would move there (Selfridges won't happen).

Just fine by me - I very very rarely step into the city centre during the day for the exact reason above. I dislike meadowhell, but at least it has a variety of shops in one place with convenient (& free) parking and in the dry away from chuggers - I can get there easily, obtain everything I need with a minimum of fuss and get out. The only downside for me is weaving between idiots when it's busy.

The mythical city centre shopping experience has never been anything more than a myth for me, it's always been awful.

But you can't get everything you need,well,unless you eat out all the time and have no food at all at home.

compared to westfield and westfield stratford meadowhall is very dated and the big project i feel is to make space big enough for john lewis which they want

To be fair is was built 26 years ago so im not surprised it looks a bit dated.

Westfield Statford is only 4 years old. Give it time to start to show its age.

I personally hope John Lewis keeps well away from Meadowhall - not for any silly city centre sentimental reason, but more for the fact that most of the Mall based Department Stores are crap compared to their stand alone counterparts.

JL in Sheffield has plenty of space to show the range of goods, 5 levels allows a good opportunity to wander without feeling like being in a glorified warehouse.

Same when House of Fraser used to be in Sheffield - the meadowhall version is awful. Goods all crammed in, no logical layout and half of the range of display as would be available in their larger and ultimately multi-floored stores.

I would hate to see JL try to cram into a two floored open plan unit in Meadowhall. Its one of the genunie full service department stores left.