Who should all those motorcycle safety signs be aimed at ?

Highway code. Note how it doesn't say Stationary.

Rule 151

In slow-moving traffic. You should

be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side.

Rule 160

Once moving you should

be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. These are more difficult to see than larger vehicles and their riders are particularly vulnerable. Give them plenty of room

Mirrors. All mirrors should be used effectively throughout your journey. You should

use them in good time before you signal or change direction or speed

be aware that mirrors do not cover all areas and there will be blind spots. You will need to look round and check.

Turning left

Rule 182

... watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 09:54 ----------

Personally, I don't see what entitles motor cyclists to pass on the left and filter in between the traffic. It's about time it was abolished. Why can't they just stay in file like car drivers.

Because they can safely pass a long line of cars and there is no good reason for them to wait in a pointless queue created by lots of single occupancy vehicles built to carry 5...

[/color]

Because they can safely pass a long line of cars and there is no good reason for them to wait in a pointless queue created by lots of single occupancy vehicles built to carry 5...

Motorbikes are mostly single occupancy too and they take up no less space in a queue than a car takes, so why shouldn't they stay in file like cars?

Why should they? The queue is made shorter by them filtering through.

And they are appropriately sized for a single occupant, do you see many motorbikes built to carry 5?

Your argument seems akin to those who argue that cyclists shouldn't be on the road. So cyclists would change to cars and the congestion would get worse...

Edited by Cyclone

Personally, I don't see what entitles motor cyclists to pass on the left and filter in between the traffic. It's about time it was abolished. Why can't they just stay in file like car drivers.

Why should they? All they are doing is overtaking a slower moving vehicle.

It is a little foolish to filter on the very left of a vehicle, and when I was biking I generally didn't as the potential for accidents is high, especially from passenger doors. However it's is legal. Same as overtaking when there are solid white lines - that's also perfectly legal and people need to watch for bikes doing it.

I noticed a sign this morning at a bus stop on Halifax Road, which warned people to be aware of cyclists and encouraged cyclists to make themselves more visible. However, it was on the wrong side of the road, it was not facing oncoming traffic, so its purpose was lost :loopy:

I only noticed it because I was on the bus, if I had been driving or cycling I would not have seen it.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that any experienced driver could post that comment.

OK on this occasion you saw him/her, as I would hope that any observant driver would.

Are you complaining that he was a motorbike in a cycle lane filtering past?

A cyclist in a cycle lane is likely to be quieter, smaller and even harder to see, so are you also suggesting that cycles shouldn't pass other traffic whilst they are in a cycle lane. I'm dumbfounded.

Whilst the majority of multi vehicle accidents involving motorcyclists seem to be the car driver's fault, I would accept that many of them could have been avoided if the biker had used a bit more common sense, but in no way should it excuse the blame to the person legally at fault.

By the way, I have motorbikes, a couple of 4x4s and a car; I cycle occasionally as well; when I'm using any of them, and even on foot, I minimise the time I spend in someone else's blind spot, but even that doesn't help if some fool can't be bothered to look properly whether they are indicating or not.

Have you actually read what I wrote ?

I was talking about a motorcycle overtaking on the inside and in a cycle lane at around 30mph (possibly more), immediately before a left turn. I`m constantly amazed what I read on forums, how could anyone try to make excuses for such riding...... Trying to say that if a car driver turned left into him it`d be the cars driver`s fault is making excuses for it and such a statement is crass stupidity. On the other hand it could be a breakdown in communication, hopefully the latter.

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 13:33 ----------

Filtering is a very risky manoeuvre in traffic which is moving, anyone who says differently has not thought about it. Filtering through stationary traffic is a little different, I used to do it when I had a motorbike, but at a low speed, max 10mph. Even in stationary traffic filtering has its risks, I always had it in my mind that in stationary traffic someone could open a door and let someone out. And it wouldn`t just be a risk on the passenger side, less likely, but perfectly possible, the driver could use the stationary traffic as an opportunity to fetch something out of the boot, or slam shut a boot which was only on the latch and had been warning him/her for a few minutes.

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 13:36 ----------

Motorbikes are mostly single occupancy too and they take up no less space in a queue than a car takes, so why shouldn't they stay in file like cars?

Generally I don`t mind them filtering so long as they do it safely, though there are exceptions. I can remember driving through Knaresborough and a scooter rally was going through. So many of them were filtering, and very aggressively, that hardly any of the cars were getting through the lights, so there was a huge tail back of cars. I did very much object to that.

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 13:39 ----------

Highway code. Note how it doesn't say Stationary.

Rule 151

In slow-moving traffic. You should

be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side.

Rule 160

Once moving you should

be aware of other road users, especially cycles and motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. These are more difficult to see than larger vehicles and their riders are particularly vulnerable. Give them plenty of room

Mirrors. All mirrors should be used effectively throughout your journey. You should

use them in good time before you signal or change direction or speed

be aware that mirrors do not cover all areas and there will be blind spots. You will need to look round and check.

Turning left

Rule 182

... watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

The problem I have with all that is you seem to be putting the onus (or trying to say the Highway Code is) for appalling aggressive dangerous riding (or driving) on the car which is being undertaken, or filtered past at high speed with minimal room. I`m certain the Highway Code would not want to encourage such road behaviour.

Edited by Justin Smith

If you are turning left, it is your responsibility to check your mirror and blind spot and make sure that the maneuver is safe.

I can't state it any more simply than that.

True, but I feel that passing on the left should be outlawed. And filtering down the middle as its unsafe.