Cinema bans lord prayer ad

Im sure there will be some scummy human rights lawyer who will give it a try .

You realise that lawyers only go to court if a client hires them to do so? :huh:

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 19:48 ----------

Who made any such assumption ? Islam will not get an easy ride in the current climate, why on earth should it ?

So are you contending that it's okay on the forum to call Christianity a cult, but not Islam?

I can test that for you.

They're both religious cults.

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 19:50 ----------

You are not 'the public' Katie, like me you are a poster on a forum, nothing more nothing less, if you fail to understand something quite straightforward that's not my problem. There is something about your posting style that seems familiar by the way, my apologies if you are total newbie.

She's quite right though, you argue that someone know for being critical of Islam is criticising Christianity because they're scared to criticise Islam. What you're suggesting makes no sense.

Quite.

Having watched the advert thought it was pretty inoffensive, but it wasnt a wise choice to want to show that particular advert in cinemas.

I thought what Michael W said had some truth in it.

As a matter of interest when do people think the last war was primarily motivated by christianity and the last one which christianity was the primary motivator for this country?

It has often been debated whether or not the Nazis tapped into Christian anti-sematism.

It has often been debated whether or not the Nazis tapped into Christian anti-sematism.

Of course they did. It wasn't even that unusual until the very end when they started killing them on an industrial scale that anything was particularly unusual historically, for the most part the Nazis were a continuation of a centuries-long Christian tradition of persecuting the Jews. It was the culmination of generations of anti-semitism.

Edited by flamingjimmy

Any reason is a good reason.

Besides, isn't 'Jedi' considered by many to be their religion? Can you imagine the fuss they'd kick up if Muslims or Atheists wanted to advertise before a film about Christ? Bloody bible bashing idiots.

Wouldn't that mean that 'Star Wars' and advertisements for 'Star wars' should be banned ..all things being equal ?

Really? It'll be easy for you to give some examples then, do tell.

Well, this is just the in the last few weeks ...

We had a knock on the door yesterday. It was the Jehovah Witnesses. I wasn't in, but my daughter was and she had to listen to them for 20 mins. She was quite upset when we got home.

Last weekend we visited my wife's parents, and my wife was accosted by Jehovah Witnesses as she walked to the door with shopping bags.

As I walked down Staniforth Road I was accosted by two young men dressed smartly, one with an American accent. They tried to sell me the Mormon Church.

In the same area I am always reminded that some people's religious beliefs mean that they think I am unable to control my sexual urges, so they must cover themselves from head to toe.

In the same area recently I noticed many posters for an Hizb ut-Tahrir event, with messages about how some people are so much more important than me.

On a busy London Underground train recently a man started preaching to people. He mentioned that homosexuality was a sin, and some people got quite upset.

We've had leaflets through the door for the local church.

We've had leaflets through the door from the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community.

On Fargate we have the Jehovah Witnesses there now permanently it seems, hoding out their Watchtower leaflets. We've also had a gospel choir, another choir for an evangelical church, and breakdancers for Christ. We always have the chap with his gospel messages, on occasion we've had a chap with a megaphone, and a stall selling Islam.

It was the same when we went to Manchester recently, religion for sale all over the place.

It seems that as society becomes less religious, some people are more desperate to sell it. Selling religion is not banned, but it's nice to know that I can go to the cinema, the theatre, the pub, a restaurant or a shop and not be bugged by it there.

It's not reassuring to learn that the Church Of England think that their rights should trump those of private businesses, and the private businesses should be forced to sell religious messages even if they don't want to sell it or their customers don't want to hear it.

Or maybe have you considered the outcry if their was an attempt to play an Islamic call to prayer, or something similar, prior to the Star Wars Movie?

or maybe have you considered the outcry if this was reversed and it was a mosque that had wanted to pay for an ad and were turned down :hihi:

Wouldn't that mean that 'Star Wars' and advertisements for 'Star wars' should be banned ..all things being equal ?

The people who made Star Wars maintain that the Jedi religion depicted in their films is fictional. Perhaps if the church starts claiming Christianity is based on fiction they will be allowed to place ads in cinemas.