Cinema bans lord prayer ad

I'm an atheist. If I went to the pictures to see Star Wars (unlikely) and saw that advert I wouldn't be offended. I might be slightly peed off my film had been delayed but offended? Not in the slightest.

People should stop being offended at the drop of a hat, likewise organisations should stop being offended on behalf of people who aren't offended in the first place.

Oi ****in Vey

Of course it's not offensive. The advert was passed uncut by the British Board of Film Classification and given a "U" certificate.

It's just annoying. More annoying than being forced to watch an advert for a car I'll never buy.

Adverts are always a trade-off between revenue and annoying the customers. This company has sensibly decided not to show political or religious adverts.

You realise that lawyers only go to court if a client hires them to do so? :huh:

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 19:48 ----------

So are you contending that it's okay on the forum to call Christianity a cult, but not Islam?

I can test that for you.

They're both religious cults.

---------- Post added 22-11-2015 at 19:50 ----------

She's quite right though, you argue that someone know for being critical of Islam is criticising Christianity because they're scared to criticise Islam. What you're suggesting makes no sense.

I never mentioned, never mind contended calling anything a cult, stop making things up, or learn to read.

As for the point about criticising Islam I was speaking in general, the point about a particular post was about one sentence in it. Go and read it, it's on page 1 of this thread, now change the word Christians to Muslims and tell me someone on here would not have reported it, if you find that difficult to understand, I pity you too.

Of course it's not offensive. The advert was passed uncut by the British Board of Film Classification and given a "U" certificate.

It's just annoying. More annoying than being forced to watch an advert for a car I'll never buy.

Adverts are always a trade-off between revenue and annoying the customers. This company has sensibly decided not to show political or religious adverts.

Sums it up perfectly.

I never mentioned, never mind contended calling anything a cult, stop making things up, or learn to read.

As for the point about criticising Islam I was speaking in general, the point about a particular post was about one sentence in it. Go and read it, it's on page 1 of this thread, now change the word Christians to Muslims and tell me someone on here would not have reported it, if you find that difficult to understand, I pity you too.

So what sentence specifically is it that couldn't be said about Islam.

I read the whole post, I can't magically work out which sentence you're thinking about.

Point it out and I'll say it again about Islam for you.

Or hey, why don't you report it if it upsets you.

---------- Post added 23-11-2015 at 09:21 ----------

Bloody Muslims thinking they can piggy back on the religious tolerance to promote their rubbish. Please, do us all a favour... get lost. :loopy:

Was it this sentence?

It has masked swearing in it, so you could report it for that.

I changed my version so that it doesn't break any rules though.

Bloody religious types thinking they can piggy back on the religious tolerance to promote their rubbish. Please, do us all a favour... get lost. :loopy:

And a non denominational version as well.

I'm a atheist and it wouldn't offend me, same as when I'm on holiday in such as Turkey it doesn't offend me when they have their call to prayer.

It didn't offend me until I saw the children having to pray, that reminded me of the predatory nature of indoctrination. Some people may think that 'predatory' is a harsh way to describe it but it ticks all the right boxes.

The Islamic call to prayer is an 'alarm clock' for those who already believe, letting them know it's time to go and do their thing, however silly it may be.

The Lord's Prayer advert is trying to attract new people.

---------- Post added 23-11-2015 at 10:14 ----------

Probably not, as Christmas has moved far beyond the religious context.

Try telling that to kids in school

I think kids, more than anyone, know that Christmas is about Santa.

It didn't offend me until I saw the children having to pray, that reminded me of the predatory nature of indoctrination. Some people may think that 'predatory' is a harsh way to describe it but it ticks all the right boxes.

The Islamic call to prayer is an 'alarm clock' for those who already believe, letting them know it's time to go and do their thing, however silly it may be.

The Lord's Prayer advert is trying to attract new people.

---------- Post added 23-11-2015 at 10:14 ----------

I think kids, more than anyone, know that Christmas is about Santa.

As are the church bells!

On a side note, when I worked in Baghdad the morning call to prayer was a precursor to mortar and rocket attacks.

Edited by monkey104

That's exactly right for me too.

The company shouldn't have said that they didn't want to cause offence. They should have left it at "We don't advertise religion or politics", full stop, no further explanation necessary.

The snippet showing the process of the indoctrination of young children was really depressing (this applies to any religion by the way, before anyone has a pop).

The preparation of another generation of recruits for the cult is not great.

The cinema chain is perfectly correct to ban advertising designed to encourage belief in the supernatural, particularly when targeting the vulnerable and naïve.