Is it illegal for a British citizen living in uk to support ISIS?

I dont know if it happened or not, but what i do know is, if a person takes up arms against its own country that is treason and, should be dealt with as such

C & P

From

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7288516.stm

It has been suggested Britons fighting for the Taleban or radical Islamist preachers could be charged with treason, while the Guardian newspaper has campaigned for the repeal of parts of the law. But all of the above legislation remains in force, and a clear starting point for an overhaul may be an achievement in itself.

The problem is that 'technically' they aren't fighting against Britain. However, if a Brit went overseas to train with ISIS then returned and carried out a terror attack on our shores and somehow survived, then I'm confident (hopeful) that they would indeed be prosecuted for treason. Or if we sent soldiers to Syria and they attacked them, the same thing...

The problem is that 'technically' they aren't fighting against Britain. However, if a Brit went overseas to train with ISIS then returned and carried out a terror attack on our shores and somehow survived, then I'm confident (hopeful) that they would indeed be prosecuted for treason. Or if we sent soldiers to Syria and they attacked them, the same thing...

No matter how you look at it, the taliban and isis are Britons enemies.

---------- Post added 30-11-2015 at 11:55 ----------

in fact lets not mess about here, they are the enemy of 95% of the world, no body including the faith they claim to represent, have not got a good word to say about them.

To get back to my e.g are you saying that in the second w.w that, if a english man with German parents went and joined the german army and came back to briton that.briton would have to prove he killed an english man and more to you point identity who he had killed?

Edited by kidley

in fact lets not mess about here, they are the enemy of 95% of the world, no body including the faith they claim to represent, have not got a good word to say about them.

To get back to my e.g are you saying that in the second w.w that, if a english man with German parents went and joined the german army and came back to briton that.briton would have to prove he killed an english man and more to you point identity who he had killed?

Nuke em they will regenerate like Vietnam

Hmm. No, if any British citizen went and fought against Britain as a part of any countries army or terrorist group then that's treason. However, simply travelling to Syria and getting training with ISIS isn't attacking Britain. I'm not playing with semantics here. We'd need to get the right legal decision. If they did anything to directly harm the UK, UK citizens or soldiers then treason without a moments hesitation. For me I guess it become fractionally more muddied if they weren't attacking us at all. They can still be charged with 'sponsoring/supporting terrorism' though can' they? I'm sure we've got laws for that.

In fact, does anyone know what happened in WW1 or 2 if someone defected to the Germans but kept their British citizenship? That would set the legal framework for how we should treat people that join ISIS regardless of their role.

Edited by sgtkate

Hmm. No, if any British citizen went and fought against Britain as a part of any countries army or terrorist group then that's treason. However, simply travelling to Syria and getting training with ISIS isn't attacking Britain. I'm not playing with semantics here. We'd need to get the right legal decision. If they did anything to directly harm the UK, UK citizens or soldiers then treason without a moments hesitation. For me I guess it become fractionally more muddied if they weren't attacking us at all. They can still be charged with 'sponsoring/supporting terrorism' though can' they? I'm sure we've got laws for that.

In fact, does anyone know what happened in WW1 or 2 if someone defected to the Germans but kept their British citizenship? That would set the legal framework for how we should treat people that join ISIS regardless of their role.

There are specific anti-terrorist laws that would cover training at a terrorist camp.

yes i do know, i was going to put my own interpretation of it but, this may be better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Free_Corps

But kidley, they were actively fighting so of course it's treason. I'm arguing about legal status here and not what I think should be done by the way. I say if you are of legal responsibility age (12 or over) and you travel of your own free will to knowingly join and support ISIS in anyway, then that's treason, but it might not be what our law states, and I'm purely questioning on that.

But kidley, they were actively fighting so of course it's treason. I'm arguing about legal status here and not what I think should be done by the way. I say if you are of legal responsibility age (12 or over) and you travel of your own free will to knowingly join and support ISIS in anyway, then that's treason, but it might not be what our law states, and I'm purely questioning on that.

This may answer your doubt's

C & P from link

levying war against the sovereign and adhering to the sovereign's enemies, giving them aid or comfort;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_treason_in_the_United_Kingdom