Turko-Russian powder-keg

So it looks like:

1. The Russian planes wer heading towards Turkish airspace and were warned off.

2. They carried on and briefly flew into Turkish airspace.

3. They were fired on whilst in Turkish airspace.

4. The missile didnt catch up and hit the Russian plane till it had left Turkish airspace and over Syria.

Looks like Russia didnt care and Turkey were looking for an opportunity.

After reading the official letter to the U.N (genuine?),I find it hard to believe that someone would start a fight with Russia(who are actively bombing next door),for the sake of 17 seconds of airspace (1.3 miles apparently).

I wouldn't be too suprised if Turkey have just played right into Russia's hands here.

This gives Putin a perfect reason to blow the "moderates" to smithereens.I know they have been before this,but now they can play on Russian media how the moderates are officially terrorists towards Russia now.

Its all one big chess board :( .

They also showed a map of the region on the news and charted the flight path which included the 17 seconds the plane strayed into Turkish airspace . The expert concluded unsurprisingly that the Turks could not have followed all the correct protocol before shooting the Russian plane down .

There's a really good documentary about Lt. Colonel Stanislav E. Petrov, who followed his hunch and ignored the protocols to confirm the American missile launch. It's aptly called - the Man Who Saved the World. You can get it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Saved-World-DVD/dp/B00S4YGDNC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448399559&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Man+Who+Saved+The+World

Cheers JFKvs Nixon! Ordering this DVD for the weekend.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

They also showed a map of the region on the news and charted the flight path which included the 17 seconds the plane strayed into Turkish airspace . The expert concluded unsurprisingly that the Turks could not have followed all the correct protocol before shooting the Russian plane down .

I just saw the flight path on the news,and its nothing like I first thought .

I thought they headed towards Turkey,and then turned around.I didn't realise they flew over a tiny slither of turkey and straight out the other side(Which makes Turkeys decision look even worse).

The slither is that tiny and sticks out in such a way,that I wouldn't be too suprised if the pilots didn't even realise they were in Turkey airspace til it was too late.(They must have pressed fire almost instantly).

The two most significant Eastern empires of the 2nd half of the previous millenium, the Ottomans and the Russians, had frequent wars, usually related to Black Sea territories including the Krim (Crimea).

After the demise of the Ottoman and Russian Empires things have been relatively stable although Turks still claim parts of Russia and Russia still feels strongly about Eastern Anatolia as it borders several autonomous Russian regions that are strategically vital (read oil).

The Turks have not been holding back against the Russians in the recent Syrian operations and shot down a Russian jet this morning and threatening to do so several times before, claiming Turkish airspace was violated.

The trouble is: Turkish airspace equals NATO airspace, Russia and NATO aren't exactly friends, despite the Russians sending a replacement dog to French police last week.

This incident will likely be coated in diplomatic to-and-fros but the Russians will be very annoyed as they believe they have a legitimate mandate to bomb Syria, the same mandate that NATO forces are using.

NATO is annoyed because Russia bombs anything opposed to Assad, whereas NATO is bombing anything that is ISIS and this incident will increase the gap between the aggressors. What it might also do is see Putin hatch some sort of revenge plan, if he does retaliate against the Turks we could well be in a very unpleasant situation.

A brief history lesson about the Turkish and Ottoman Empire, enjoyed reading it. However if is frightening what is happening in Russia.

I just saw the flight path on the news,and its nothing like I first thought .

I thought they headed towards Turkey,and then turned around.I didn't realise they flew over a tiny slither of turkey and straight out the other side(Which makes Turkeys decision look even worse).

The slither is that tiny and sticks out in such a way,that I wouldn't be too suprised if the pilots didn't even realise they were in Turkey airspace til it was too late.(They must have pressed fire almost instantly).

They claim to have been warning them before they entered their airspace. Theyd have had to make the decision beforehand to fire if they crossed into it. They are professional pilots and they would know where the border is because the warnings have been going on for weeks, its not a one off. Surpisingly small incursion.

A brief history lesson about the Turkish and Ottoman Empire, enjoyed reading it. However if is frightening what is happening in Russia.

Whats happening in Russia?:suspect:

---------- Post added 24-11-2015 at 21:56 ----------

They claim to have been warning them before they entered their airspace. Theyd have had to make the decision beforehand to fire if they crossed into it. They are professional pilots and they would know where the border is because the warnings have been going on for weeks, its not a one off. Surpisingly small incursion.

That may be so,but the decision to shoot down a Russian jet that is posing zero danger to Turkey,is a very foolish decision indeed.

Russia may have lost army personnel and equipment today,but they have gained plenty of ammo for their media machine.

Edited by SqueakyPete

Whats happening in Russia?:suspect:

---------- Post added 24-11-2015 at 21:56 ----------

That may be so,but the decision to shoot down a Russian jet that is posing zero danger to Turkey,is a very foolish decision indeed.

Russia may have lost army personnel and equipment today,but they have gained plenty of ammo for their media machine.

I should have said that Russia seems to be getting more aggressive towards the west and other countries. Perhaps you need to talk to tzijlstra he is full of sensible information and probably the most intelligent person on this forum. On all subjects.

I should have said that Russia seems to be getting more aggressive towards the west and other countries. Perhaps you need to talk to tzijlstra he is full of sensible information and probably the most intelligent person on this forum. On all subjects.

I know Russians in general are being fed anti west bs for breakfast/dinner/tea and supper.

Its just your comment didn't really sound like you were aiming towards that.:D