Motoring question

Is it ok to pull up at the side of the road to answer a mobile phone?

I know that you are still in charge of a vehicle, so you could get breatholised; but do the same rules apply to using your mobile.

And, reversing out of a drive onto a road, the highway code says not to do it, so why does it happen so often.

I have an issue at work, minibuses park in the car park; we have beeb instructed to drive in forwards. But sometimes they do not leave a space to turnaround, so a minibus has to reverse into the road. Its a small car park.

I don't know for definite but I wouldn't think you'd get done for using your mobile while just sat in the car..you're not actually driving..as for reversing out of the car park,why not get someone to guide you out if there's not enough space to turn round?

The key point here is 'safely parked'.

Some morons think just pulling up anywhere to answer the phone is acceptable, eve if they're blocking the road and in everyones way.

Hands-free kits are very cheap these days, there's no reason at all not to get one.

Hands-free kits are very cheap these days, there's no reason at all not to get one.

Some of the more hardcore road safety campaigners are against even those. You're still not fully focussed on your driving when using a hands free kit apparently!

Some of the more hardcore road safety campaigners are against even those. You're still not fully focussed on your driving when using a hands free kit apparently!

I work for the council, and their policy is not use hands free, but I was given one a couple of weeks ago; I will check the policy to see if it still in place.

True, but you've gotta be realistic - people are going to answer their phones while driving whether you like it or not.

I'd rather they used a hands free kit than drive around holding the phone to their head while trying to control the car with one arm.

I do sometimes wonder how many road safety campaigners actually drive, or ever leave London.

True, but you've gotta be realistic - people are going to answer their phones while driving whether you like it or not.

I'd rather they used a hands free kit than drive around holding the phone to their head while trying to control the car with one arm.

I do sometimes wonder how many road safety campaigners actually drive, or ever leave London.

Not a lot wrong (in many contexts) with driving with one hand - many drivers do it quite successfully.

I drive 25,000 miles a year. The advice to avoid 'phone calls whilst driving does not come just out of London. A phone conversation can be short and sweet and involve a low level of distraction. But then again a driver may have to deal with a more detailed and stressful 'curved ball' question from boss/partner.

Any question that requires a driver to "visualise" is well-recognised to be harmful to his/her focus on the road.

This article, old and American as it is, has not lost its clarity or relevance over the years: http://www.itworld.com/article/2763161/consumer-tech-science/how-the-brain-works--driving--cell-phones-and-cognitive-abilities.html.

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 22:49 ----------

Is it ok to pull up at the side of the road to answer a mobile phone?

I know that you are still in charge of a vehicle, so you could get breatholised; but do the same rules apply to using your mobile.

And, reversing out of a drive onto a road, the highway code says not to do it, so why does it happen so often.

I have an issue at work, minibuses park in the car park; we have beeb instructed to drive in forwards. But sometimes they do not leave a space to turnaround, so a minibus has to reverse into the road. Its a small car park.

Park up (safely), engine off (and I'd advise keys on dashboard) is OK.

With a minibus and car park the size they are, your best advice is to reverse in, drive out and NOT to reverse out onto the main road.