Please sign this petition:Petition closed: Gov discussing:

But to be fair - the vast majority of regular Uni places are taken by 18 year olds. Nursing is different - many of those who want to train as a nurse are more mature people often with families. They will be prevented from doing their training because of the cost and that is a crying shame as more mature people come into the job with experience of life which can't be taught in a classroom and is a vital part of being a good nurse.

Surely that depends whether pay minus loan repayments is adequate after completing the course.

The students don't have to pay out in advance.

Surely that depends whether pay minus loan repayments is adequate after completing the course.

The students don't have to pay out in advance.

Very true - but I think the loan issue will put a lot of very suitable people off.

It really is a shame.

Very true - but I think the loan issue will put a lot of very suitable people off.

It really is a shame.

As has been pointed out, it isn't had that effect on regular university students.

Anybody apply to the medical profession is going to have half decent maths at least. The terms of the loans are good in that repayment is only required based on the ability to pay. If the studies in question increase your earning power by more than the repayments, it's a bit of a no brainer.

That's as may be.

However, here on the shop floor, the signs are not good for future enrollment.

I think the government has shot itself in the foot.

Time will tell but then it will be too late.

That's as may be.

However, here on the shop floor, the signs are not good for future enrollment.

I think the government has shot itself in the foot.

Time will tell but then it will be too late.

Where's the shop floor? Are there numbers for the first year of enrolment?

If it does turn out there is a bug deterrent, the matter can be reviewed. The idea is to get more people in as moe training places can be afforded. So I suppose the real tests is, are more people being trained the first year than in previous years (and do they complete).

Where's the shop floor? Are there numbers for the first year of enrolment?

If it does turn out there is a bug deterrent, the matter can be reviewed. The idea is to get more people in as moe training places can be afforded. So I suppose the real tests is, are more people being trained the first year than in previous years (and do they complete).

The shop floor is where I work - out on the wards where the effects of this bad cost cutting decision by the government is already being felt.

An apprenticeship would be the best way for this issue - a small wage for working the shifts and unsocial hours student nurses work for the 3 years of training they have to undertake .

The shop floor is where I work - out on the wards where the effects of this bad cost cutting decision by the government is already being felt.

An apprenticeship would be the best way for this issue - a small wage for working the shifts and unsocial hours student nurses work for the 3 years of training they have to undertake .

Are you sure that wouldn't be a worse deterrent.

If the training places now are over-subscribed, leading to turning qualified people away, and this scheme allows for more training places, then unless it goes too far, you're going to end up with more trained.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself very well.

The government can provide as many training places as they like - many people who would make fabulous nurses who are maybe of more mature years will not be able to afford to give up a paid job to embark on 3 years of study and working shifts to end up with a huge loan to pay off at the end of it.

It really is a crying shame that these folk will be lost to the nursing profession.

The government can provide as many training places as they like - many people who would make fabulous nurses who are maybe of more mature years will not be able to afford to give up a paid job to embark on 3 years of study and working shifts to end up with a huge loan to pay off at the end of it.

It really is a crying shame that these folk will be lost to the nursing profession.

Sure you are.

There are 2 potential problems with getting more nurses.

1. Shortage of training places.

2. Shortage of suitable people willing to undertake training.

If the current problem is 1 and not 2, then you sacrifice 2 to improve 1. If not, then sacrificing 2 will make things worse.

As I understand it, the government contend that the problem is 1 and therefore they can indeed sacrifice 2 to address 1.

Do you have any data to indicate they they're wrong?

Could they not study at home whilst still in their current job, just a quick search on line would suggest that its possible.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/find/nursing-and-healthcare-practice

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/i-am/considering-or-university/studying-nursing

http://www.distancelearningportal.com/study-options-c/bachelors/268927089/nursing-united-kingdom.html

https://www.reed.co.uk/courses/nursing/online