Please sign this petition:Petition closed: Gov discussing:

Since nurse training is a full on 3 years course will hundreds of hours of practical clinical practice necessary to qualify - the answer is no - it is not possible to qualify as a Registered Nurse by studying at home whilst holding down another regular job. Not sure why you think it would be .I think you may be confusing the post grad courses available for nurses who are already registered where they can ' top up' their qualification . This can be done in their own time whilst doing their regular job - not easy when working shifts and takes a lot of commitment.

---------- Post added 04-06-2016 at 15:40 ----------

[/color]

Sure you are.

There are 2 potential problems with getting more nurses.

1. Shortage of training places.

2. Shortage of suitable people willing to undertake training.

If the current problem is 1 and not 2, then you sacrifice 2 to improve 1. If not, then sacrificing 2 will make things worse.

As I understand it, the government contend that the problem is 1 and therefore they can indeed sacrifice 2 to address 1.

Do you have any data to indicate they they're wrong?

Throw problem 3 into the equation - shortage of finances to be able to give up a current job whilst working on a full time 3year course which include studying at uni and at home whilst working all manner of shifts to acquire the hundred of hours of practical hands-on clinical practice necessary to fulfill the course. This is the main reason why I believe that many people will not be able to do the course - the commitment will not be possible for them.

Edited by Daven

Since nurse training is a full on 3 years course will hundreds of hours of practical clinical practice necessary to qualify - the answer is no - it is not possible to qualify as a Registered Nurse by studying at home whilst holding down another regular job. Not sure why you think it would be .

Just using one of the links I posted comes up with a few part time courses.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/i-am/looking-course

BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing (part time)

BSc (Hons) Adult and Mental Health Nursing (part time)

Would passing these not qualify someone to be a nurse.

Edited by sutty27

Just using one of the links I posted comes up with a few part time courses.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/i-am/looking-course

BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing (part time)

BSc (Hons) Adult and Mental Health Nursing (part time)

Would passing these not qualify someone to be a nurse.

They do but take between 6 and 7 years to complete.

They do but take between 6 and 7 years to complete.

That's good then someone can train to be a nurse without quitting their current job.

http://www.open.ac.uk/hsc/partnerships-and-enterprise/working-with-employers/working-with-the-nhs.php

“NHS Yorkshire and the Humber is delighted to support the OU’s pre-registration nursing programme for healthcare assistants. We believe that this fills a big gap in our current provision and affords our healthcare assistants the opportunity to train to become qualified nurses which for many would not have been an option through any other route”

That's good then someone can train to be a nurse without quitting their current job.

http://www.open.ac.uk/hsc/partnerships-and-enterprise/working-with-employers/working-with-the-nhs.php

“NHS Yorkshire and the Humber is delighted to support the OU’s pre-registration nursing programme for healthcare assistants. We believe that this fills a big gap in our current provision and affords our healthcare assistants the opportunity to train to become qualified nurses which for many would not have been an option through any other route”

That's quite different though - you are talking about healthcare assistants who are already employed in the NHS being 'trained up' on the job to be a Registered Nurse. Great idea though - there are many healthcare assistants who have the ability to do that with the right support.

That's quite different though - you are talking about healthcare assistants who are already employed in the NHS being 'trained up' on the job to be a Registered Nurse. Great idea though - there are many healthcare assistants who have the ability to do that with the right support.

I thought it must be possible, both my kids have degrees but neither went to uni and both have worked since leaving school, its just harder work studying whilst holding down a full time job.

I thought it must be possible, both my kids have degrees but neither went to uni and both have worked since leaving school, its just harder work studying whilst holding down a full time job.

You should be very proud of them - it is extremely hard to study at degree level whilst working a full time job - I've done it too and it made me unwell for a while. Well done to them !

• 1 month later...

https://www.rcn.org.uk/nursingcounts/student-bursaries?utm_campaign=SSCOTT-124713-2107+Bursary+update+22+July&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=

A partial success but there are still many who will not be able to train to be a nurse due to the loss of this bursary.

The future is a worry.

Working full time shifts, running up a loan and studying for 3 years is not for the faint hearted or for those with no financial support.

Edited by Daven

• 4 months later...

Quick update on the impact of this decision.

In the first intake to be affected by the removal of the bursary and addition of tuition fees, applications to train as a nurse are down by 20%.

The government stated that their decision would increase the number of nurses in training, as many expected the opposite has happened.

https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/news/rcn-concerned-at-fall-in-nursing-degree-applications