All Season Tyres discussion thread

Tried them, they don't have any.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 14:13 ----------

Would a different profile fit?

Profile yes, width I doubt.

But changing the profile alters the rolling radius and makes your speedo wrong...

Tried them, they don't have any.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 14:13 ----------

Profile yes, width I doubt.

But changing the profile alters the rolling radius and makes your speedo wrong...

I know it'll change the speedo accuracy..depends what you think is more important I suppose.. :) do you have a sat nav that shows your speed?

Google suggests that they don't come in the required size.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 11:08 ----------

Yeah, that's why I'm struggling.

I found 255/40, but only in 20"... I can find 255 R18, but not in the correct profile.

I buy all my tyres from Ears Motorsport in Macclesfield. If the tyres exist they will have them. I find it worth the trip over to get tyres fitted as it still works out far cheaper than buying locally.

There are all weather tyres but I wouldn't fit them. No rubber will work in all temperatures. All weathers neither work well in summer or winter. If you need 255/40s I assume you have a car to drive and not a taxi. Why make it so it handles and produces tyre noise like a Transit Van?

Edited by exxon

No "All Season" listed. Summer or Winter only.

The dialema is that Winter tyres can be quite poor in the summer, which is when I drive the most. But summer tyres can be entirely lethal in the winter. For example, I was spinning up in 3rd gear at 70mph yesterday, which is not ideal. Admittedly the tyres need changing, but it was only damp, and not even cold >10C...

So I'd like some tyres that won't kill me in the winter, but will still be effective in the summer. And I don't really want to store 4 extra tyres in my cellar, although I suppose I could (but I don't intend to keep this car for more than another 6 months tops!).

Perhaps that answers it, just get winter tyres and let whoever buys it next worry about the summer.

Edited by Cyclone

My car has 255/35R18s on the rears and 225/40R18s on the front and I can't get all season tyres either.

Exxon, I've not tried them yet but the new Michelin cross climates get rave reviews about being as good as a winter tyre in ice and snow and 90% as good as a summer tyre in 'summer' conditions. Noise rating on them is B which is pretty decent too. My mechanic recommended them over some others which are more expensive. As I say, I've not got them but perhaps these are the first ones to find the middle ground solution without too much compromise?

Sadly they won't fit my car :( but my other half is likely to get them so I can report back.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 14:46 ----------

No "All Season" listed. Summer or Winter only.

The dialema is that Winter tyres can be quite poor in the summer, which is when I drive the most. But summer tyres can be entirely lethal in the winter. For example, I was spinning up in 3rd gear at 70mph yesterday, which is not ideal. Admittedly the tyres need changing, but it was only damp, and not even cold >10C...

So I'd like some tyres that won't kill me in the winter, but will still be effective in the summer. And I don't really want to store 4 extra tyres in my cellar, although I suppose I could (but I don't intend to keep this car for more than another 6 months tops!).

Perhaps that answers it, just get winter tyres and let whoever buys it next worry about the summer.

Worth contacting Michelin directly? It might be that the dealers just don't stock them?

Saved you the hassle and went directly to their website. No bananas. They don't make them in our size.

Edited by sgtkate

Michelin cross-climates only go upto a 225 and only upto a 17" rim, so it's a no go.

---------- Post added 27-11-2015 at 15:26 ----------

Have you checked if you car speedo has any adjustment ability, I've had some that can be adjusted to take into account different tyre sizes that might be fitted.

Not new cars either, donkey old Nissans and stuff had that feature.

You can use this website to tell you what the error in your speedo will be which you can use when adjusting.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Edited by geared

For example, I was spinning up in 3rd gear at 70mph yesterday, which is not ideal. Admittedly the tyres need changing, but it was only damp, and not even cold >10C
Don't know where you were driving or what time, but FWIW I found the roads particularly greasy (oddly so) when I drove home last night.

Was driving the Mrs' Mini (Cooper S on 245/17 'rough' summers (-not the usual sporty 'slicks', but not all-seasons either), medium-used) and the slippage/understeer was much more noticeable than usual (pressure on all 4 corners checked and set day before).

So I'd like some tyres that won't kill me in the winter, but will still be effective in the summer.
If my unfortunate experience of earlier this year (RIP Scooby :() is anything to go by, it wouldn't be the tyres, your speed, or others...it would be whether there's solid ice on the road or not, about which winters are as effective as summers, i.e. not in the least :(

My car has 255/35R18s on the rears and 225/40R18s on the front and I can't get all season tyres either.

Exxon, I've not tried them yet but the new Michelin cross climates get rave reviews about being as good as a winter tyre in ice and snow and 90% as good as a summer tyre in 'summer' conditions. Noise rating on them is B which is pretty decent too. My mechanic recommended them over some others which are more expensive. As I say, I've not got them but perhaps these are the first ones to find the middle ground solution without too much compromise?

Sadly they won't fit my car :( but my other half is likely to get them so I can report back

Like I said earlier go chat to Ears. Winter tyres tend to have higher profile so a narrower width might be the answer.

I run 235 40 R18 95 Y Front 255 35 R18 94 Y on the rear. I wouldn't put on winter tyres or all weather because of the noise, and I doubt they would make much difference anyhow. The car is the problem along with ground clearance; not the tyres. The car is so crap in winter I will put it away on arrival of the first snowflake and borrow a SEAT. At leat I feel I have a fighting chance of getting home.

At leat I feel I have a fighting chance of getting home.
Always have a pair of snowsocks in the boot, from mid-November onwards.

They cost beans nowadays and weigh nothing, and I can certainly vouch for their usability and versatility.

I got stuck like so many others in Anston in December 2010. I'd have got home if I'd got snosocks then. Never been without since.

Like I said earlier go chat to Ears. Winter tyres tend to have higher profile so a narrower width might be the answer.

I run 235 40 R18 95 Y Front 255 35 R18 94 Y on the rear. I wouldn't put on winter tyres or all weather because of the noise, and I doubt they would make much difference anyhow. The car is the problem along with ground clearance; not the tyres. The car is so crap in winter I will put it away on arrival of the first snowflake and borrow a SEAT. At leat I feel I have a fighting chance of getting home.

I took mine out in the snow once last year as it was a kinda emergency. It was dangerous and I will NOT repeat the experience as I was bricking it most of the time. RWD and front engine is not a good combo for snow/ice even with winter tyres. If I need anything urgently I will get a taxi or walk.