All Season Tyres discussion thread

I love our car but it has a habit of eating front-tyres quite quickly (too much power FWD) so they are up for changing. I am a fan of Vredestein, for obvious orange reasons, and am considering putting their all-weather tyres on the front now and the back when they need replacing in half a year or so. Is that an issue? Also, fuel economy is slightly worse on all-weathers, correct?

Reason for going all-weather is that we go to the highlands regularly, also in winter, and I don't want to get special winter-tyres (I would if we still went back to the Netherlands by car, but that is years ago now).

I love our car but it has a habit of eating front-tyres quite quickly (too much power FWD) so they are up for changing. I am a fan of Vredestein, for obvious orange reasons, and am considering putting their all-weather tyres on the front now and the back when they need replacing in half a year or so. Is that an issue? Also, fuel economy is slightly worse on all-weathers, correct?

Reason for going all-weather is that we go to the highlands regularly, also in winter, and I don't want to get special winter-tyres (I would if we still went back to the Netherlands by car, but that is years ago now).

Check your insurance wont mind all weather on the front and summer on the back. Our van insurance said I couldn't mix summer and winter. They also strongly advised my spare matched which ever I was running (assuming they wouldn't cover me if I had to swap it out mid journey then had an accident).

Check your insurance wont mind all weather on the front and summer on the back. Our van insurance said I couldn't mix summer and winter. They also strongly advised my spare matched which ever I was running (assuming they wouldn't cover me if I had to swap it out mid journey then had an accident).

Good tip. The policy doesn't mention it so I assume it is fine but I'll give them a call anyway.

Stop thinking your car is a maserati quattroporte and start off more slowly.

also if you go to the highlands regularly, keep your Vredestein and buy two front wheels and fit with winter tyres

Just winter tyres on the front is no use. I intend to swap to all-weather permanently but the fronts need changing first hence my question. Also, although it is not a Quattroporte (nice cars!) it is not far off in the bhp stakes, add rubbish Sheffield road surfaces and the combination means I don't even have to try to eat through the tyres (that and the V70 is actually pretty renowned for eating them).

Just winter tyres on the front is no use. I intend to swap to all-weather permanently but the fronts need changing first hence my question. Also, although it is not a Quattroporte (nice cars!) it is not far off in the bhp stakes, add rubbish Sheffield road surfaces and the combination means I don't even have to try to eat through the tyres (that and the V70 is actually pretty renowned for eating them).

My car is 4 wheel drive and running 300bhp my conti sport lasted about 14 months (12k miles) & I'm on Khumo (sp) now, I like the Khumo they're low on sound and comfortable but they don't seem to have the same bite as the conti's. I feel your pain on front wheel drive though my Type R used to eat them. How many miles are you doing a year? I think in your circumstances I would have a separate set of winter wheels with winter / all weather tyres.