All Season Tyres discussion thread

I had Vredestein all weathers on my old VW polo a few years back. They lasted about 5000 miles. I seriously wouldn't get them. I have Michelin energy saver +. They have very good wet grip which is basically what you need for most conditions.

Had Vredestein's on the previous that outlasted the Michelin's we had before by 5000 miles, maybe my tyres stole your extra 5K ;)

My car is 4 wheel drive and running 300bhp my conti sport lasted about 14 months (12k miles) & I'm on Khumo (sp) now, I like the Khumo they're low on sound and comfortable but they don't seem to have the same bite as the conti's. I feel your pain on front wheel drive though my Type R used to eat them. How many miles are you doing a year? I think in your circumstances I would have a separate set of winter wheels with winter / all weather tyres.

10-12K a year, could go winter tyres but considering we would get use out of them for 1K of that mileage it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. If we did go to the Netherlands as well it would (did in the past) but for the two trips to actual cold weather a year... not sure. Will consider it though.

Just winter tyres on the front is no use. I intend to swap to all-weather permanently but the fronts need changing first hence my question. Also, although it is not a Quattroporte (nice cars!) it is not far off in the bhp stakes, add rubbish Sheffield road surfaces and the combination means I don't even have to try to eat through the tyres (that and the V70 is actually pretty renowned for eating them).

My Bold

i realised that after i posted, i use Michelin sports, i carnt fault them.

My Bold

i realised that after i posted, i use Michelin sports, i carnt fault them.

That is what I have on now, 5000 miles and not a lot of thread left, not impressed, nor was I before. It is the go to Volvo tyre but I am not sure why.

Just winter tyres on the front is no use. I intend to swap to all-weather permanently but the fronts need changing first hence my question. Also, although it is not a Quattroporte (nice cars!) it is not far off in the bhp stakes, add rubbish Sheffield road surfaces and the combination means I don't even have to try to eat through the tyres (that and the V70 is actually pretty renowned for eating them).

Rotate the front and back wheels... even the wear out so you can replace them all on one go... or not an option?

What wheels do you have?

I was fortunate on last car to have Steel wheels and got given a spare set. But on my present I found a full set of matching alloys on ebay for £80.

I fit winter tyres to the spare wheels and use them for 3 months. The fronts lasted only 3 years. Winter being soft dont last long.

Michelins for the other 9 months. Fronts last about 15k miles.

I would think all year round would be softer than summer tyres so would not last as long.

If you have ever had a full set of winter tyres and drove in snow you will realise how good they are.

I replaced the original Continental summer tyres on my Suzuki with Goodyear Vector 4 season tyres.

I wanted the security of a suitable tyre for winter conditions, but as I only do a low mileage, it seemed more cost effective and simpler to go for 4 season tyres.

In terms of driving with these tyres, I am very pleased. Much more secure and much less likely to get stuck on snow and slush.

The old continental tyres (OEM, I think, as already on the car when bought second hand) were very hard rubberr, with little apparent flexibility. They lasted a long time. By comparison, the 4 season tyres are clearly wearing down much more quickly.

They are a little noisier, but not enough to be a problem.

Around town fuel consumption has dropped from around 48 to 49 mpg down to around 43 to 44 mpg, which seems to be a big change. However, as I don't do a big mileage, I can live with it.

I will get 4 season tyres again. But probably wouldn't if I had a much bigger car or did a much higher mileage. If I did, I'd go down the separate winter tyres route.

On line tests (by Auto Bild, usually) are available. One of the on-line the companies (either MyTyres or black circles) has links to these tests.

Recommended ones from memory, were Goodyear, Vredstein and Hankook. This was about 3 years ago when I bought mine.

One thing to hear in mind...

The Goodyear tyres are directional, with a V shaped tread pattern. So, once you put the tyres on the wheel, then you are restricting which side or the car the wheel goes on. So you finish up with 2 wheels/tyres for the left hand side and 2 for the right hand side. I don't know whether you are supposed to have 2 spare tyres, one for each side, or whether it doesn't matter too much. I have a space saver spare, so it's not the same as having a 4 season spare.

However, I'm pretty sure that the Vredstein Quatrac 5 is assymetrical, with a different pattern on the inside to what is on the outside. The inside is designed for snow, the outside for dry roads at higher speeds if I remember correctly.

As such, all 4 wheels are interchangeable, and you could have a similar one as the spare.

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 21:53 ----------

17" 45 if I am not mistaken, appreciate the hands-on Gerry, food for thought.

I always drive with snow-socks in the boot anyway, so might get summers regardless.

I have socks, but have never needed to use them in real conditions. I just tried them to make sure I could do it when I needed to. I think the aim is different. In practice, the socks are just to get you past a short section of impassible snow, whereas the 4 season tyres is to allow you to drive safely all the time.

Seconding the Khumo recommendation by Danny Boy. Maybe look for some reviews of Khumos paired with V70s?

Roddingtons recommended me Khumo Ecsta's for the MX-5, 2 or 3 years ago (IIRC).

I was quite surprised (he'd been pushing higher-priced, higher-'regarded' sports Toyos (IIRC) for years before that), but I still went with it, on the back of his long experience (incl. regular MX-5 racing) and national fame (amongst MX-5 owners) for 'sorting' MX-5's driving dynamics.

I have to say it's the first tyres I've ever had on the MX-5, in 15 years of ownership, that keep the ass fully in check on the wet. I'd had Michelins (best until the Khumos), Firestone (worst by an intergalactic mile) and Continentals (in-between) before. To say I have to work hard to get any sort of drift going, however briefly, on a wet-through roundabout that's as smooth as a baby's bum, is a very mild understatement. And it's not through lack of experience or loss of horses. Truly and genuinely impressed by the performance. They've probably got about 2,5k to 3k on by now, and still look as new.

Seconding snow socks also. I've had a pair for years now, had cause to used them a few times, incl. a 50 mile trip on freshly-fallen snow (late afternoon Xmas Eve, seemingly everyone had left and nobody was home at the relevant road services to clear/grit).

Edited by L00b