Cash for cash-back.. Is that even legal?

Today I called in at the supermarket. I got to the till and was asked the usual "Cash or Card"

I checked my purse and was getting a bit short on the old readies so I opted for card. I then asked if they did cash-back. The guy on the till said they did but there was a £50 limit and there was a £1 charge for it!

I've not heard that one before. Is it even legal? I'm talking debit card here not credit card.

Today I called in at the supermarket. I got to the till and was asked the usual "Cash or Card"

I checked my purse and was getting a bit short on the old readies so I opted for card. I then asked if they did cash-back. The guy on the till said they did but there was a £50 limit and there was a £1 charge for it!

I've not heard that one before. Is it even legal? I'm talking debit card here not credit card.

Why should it be any different to all those card machines that charge you to withdraw cash?

Perfectly so. They are "selling" you cash, there is nothing that says they cannot make a charge for the costs of handling it.

they are well within their rights, and know you desperate for reddies, so charge you.

However, there is benefit for them - less cash = a smaller security risk and less cash counting, bagging etc.

At the end of the day, both the shop and the customer are doing each other a favour

What supermarket was it so we can avoid it in the future.

Is it the charge you are avoiding? Wouldnt you only need to aboid it if you wanted cashback?

Yes to the OP they are just charging you for a service. Most of the shops get charged a fee for the transaction.

Edited by 999tigger

Is it the charge you are avoiding? Wouldnt you only need to aboid it if you wanted cashback?

Yes to the OP they are just charging you for a service. Most of the shops get charged a fee for the transaction.

I'd avoid asking for cash back there, but if they're going to try to apply the screws like that, I'd just avoid them generally.

What supermarket was it so we can avoid it in the future.

Seconded ... there is no need to charge you, the retailer is not out of pocket by providing you with cashback.

Banks used the cashback service as a reason why should not be worried about the disappearance of cash machines.