Cash for cash-back.. Is that even legal?

I'd avoid asking for cash back there, but if they're going to try to apply the screws like that, I'd just avoid them generally.

I get your point, but I cnat see it making a difference if you never use that facility anyway. Asda seem keen on cashback as its pished on their self service tills, but havent noticed that on anyone elses.

What supermarket was it so we can avoid it in the future.

It was a Spar shop. It's pretty stupid really. I was in there a few days ago and got cashback from the Post Office counter without charge. I'm like you, I won't pay a quid to get my own money.

Seconded ... there is no need to charge you, the retailer is not out of pocket by providing you with cashback.

Banks used the cashback service as a reason why should not be worried about the disappearance of cash machines.

Except if its an opportunity to make money by providing an extra service, then they might feel its appropriate for them to pursue extra profit.

Today I called in at the supermarket. I got to the till and was asked the usual "Cash or Card"

I checked my purse and was getting a bit short on the old readies so I opted for card. I then asked if they did cash-back. The guy on the till said they did but there was a £50 limit and there was a £1 charge for it!

I've not heard that one before. Is it even legal? I'm talking debit card here not credit card.

They are providing a service ,and are entitled to charge for that service ,

It was a Spar shop. It's pretty stupid really. I was in there a few days ago and got cashback from the Post Office counter without charge. I'm like you, I won't pay a quid to get my own money.

Well then keep using the bank or post office counter then. Cash dispensing is part of their remit.

However, if you CHOOSE the convenience of getting your money out of a retailers till and let them have the burden of filing, checking, transporting and processing such cash then be prepared to pay for it.

Its hardly an obscene demand. Processing cash at any amount has elements of administration and logistics. Even if there is less cash to "count up" at the end of a day due to cashback, someone is still having to check the transactions and balance the books.

That costs a retailer time and money.