Best way to clean silver plate

I'm assuming Sheffielders will know the answer to this. I've just bought some nice Thomas Turner silver plated spoons that are in good condition with just a bit of dirt and discolouration around the detailing. What's the best way of cleaning them without damaging the silver plating?

White vinegar and baking soda but Im not 100% sure about how it would work on plating. It worked great on a silver groat I found once.

Many people say to use baking soda, vinigar and salt to clean silver. I assume leaving out the abrasive salt will mean the plating is not damaged.

I'm assuming Sheffielders will know the answer to this. I've just bought some nice Thomas Turner silver plated spoons that are in good condition with just a bit of dirt and discolouration around the detailing. What's the best way of cleaning them without damaging the silver plating?

put the spoons in a bowl with a sheet of aluminium foil. tip in a solution of caustic soda and leave them 10 minutes. It also makes very good sheets of black aluminium foil.

Totally clean totally non abrasive.

Edited by exxon

Good choice. Polishing silver plate isn't a great idea. The silver is microns thick and can easily rub through.

Thanks for the tip. The silver content is 3DWTS per dozen, as far as I can tell that's an ok silver content but not the thickest (they are grapefruit spoons, bigger than teaspoons but smaller than dessert spoons).

Thanks for the tip. The silver content is 3DWTS per dozen, as far as I can tell that's an ok silver content but not the thickest (they are grapefruit spoons, bigger than teaspoons but smaller than dessert spoons).

You should pop down to the Cutlers Hall some time and have a look at the silver and silver plate (Sheffield Plate) in their cabinets.