Tory Grant Shapps resigns

There are a million other choices though Mister M. Not being an activist would be an easy one to start with.

Maybe there is more to it. Maybe he had other life issues.

Yes not being an activist would be one option - however newspaper reports say that Elliott was devoted to his party - certainly when you join a political party as a lay member you don't expect to be bullied.

And maybe he was prone to depression, I guess we'll never know. However if I got an inkling that someone was sensitive or easily upset that would be a reason for me not to bully them. But the guy who did bully him sounded like a nasty piece of work.

It isn't remotely funny. Neither is it amusing to use a suicide for political point scoring. You are a disgrace to the human race.

Straw man, Eric. I'll tell you who is a disgrace: Mark Clarke for one, Grant Shapps for another.

Yes not being an activist would be one option - however newspaper reports say that Elliott was devoted to his party - certainly when you join a political party as a lay member you don't expect to be bullied.

And maybe he was prone to depression, I guess we'll never know. However if I got an inkling that someone was sensitive or easily upset that would be a reason for me not to bully them.

I agree with you. Various reports about the bully seem to suggest that he had / has personal issues that manifested in a way that affected other people in a terrible way at what seems at face value like a vulnerable young man.

To attribute it as a political issue is stupid. It does look like senior people failed to resond properly to reports but that is a systemic and organisational failure that we see in all sorts of organisations. The bully could as easily have been a scout leader as a political activist. Shapps was right to take the bullet.

These fascinating articles are worth a read about the character of Mark Clarke & his background:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337016/Fantasist-adulterer-bully-boy-s-revealed-Tory-peer-warned-brass-Mark-Clarke-TEN-MONTHS-ago-portrait-cad-tearing-party-apart.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337936/The-bully-boy-Mother-complex-dared-bring-mistress-church-Treasury-adviser-s-wedding.html

Apparently his mother is a psychotherapist, and top Tories cheered when he lost the election in Tooting to Sadiq Khan :confused:

Clarke is now getting away from all the stress he has caused by jetting off to Barbados

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3329801/Tatler-Tory-gets-away-Barbados-Grant-Shapps-tells-friends-knew-sex-drugs-claims-fall-guy-Mark-Clarke-affair.html :suspect:

Edited by Mister M

Seems to me that he's saying he did his best, but since this happened on his watch, he's taking responsibility for it.

Good on him.

We could use more politicians with that kind of integrity.

Shame Gordon Brown didn't resign when he was exposed as a workplace bully wasn't it.

It's quite clear, that as in a lot of stressful workplaces across the country, there is always a bully. It's an issue that has nothing to do with class, intelligence, background or the environment they are working in. Some people are simply horrible.

Shame Gordon Brown didn't resign when he was exposed as a workplace bully wasn't it.

It's quite clear, that as in a lot of stressful workplaces across the country, there is always a bully. It's an issue that has nothing to do with class, intelligence, background or the environment they are working in. Some people are simply horrible.

Indeed, some people are simply horrible, but is it not worth asking the question: Why are the Conservatives known as "the nasty party?" a term coined by the Home Secretary, herself, about the party to which she belongs. The party that apparently was willing to tolerate Mark Clarke's appalling behavour.

Seems to me that he's saying he did his best, but since this happened on his watch, he's taking responsibility for it.

Good on him.

We could use more politicians with that kind of integrity.

Its a start, but am sure in time we will find out whether he jumped because he was told to as damage limitation or whether it wasnt merely on his watch and his actions were one of the contributing factors.

PS I do wish you would all pack it in with accusing each other of being the nasty party. It happens both ways.

Integrity in your book being about lying that he didn't know about someone hounded to suicide. Classy.

---------- Post added 29-11-2015 at 09:24 ----------

Maybe it's because it concerns a political party.

---------- Post added 29-11-2015 at 09:25 ----------

Funnily enough that's exactly what Grant Schapps thought.

LeMaquis

Total Posts: 7,858

Funny how all the Tories on here queue up to post on Labour-related threads but when it's their own party in the news then for some inexplicable reason they go missing

_______

I just thought your original post was a poor attempt at petty political point scoring about a human tragedy which motivated me to ask that question .

---------- Post added 29-11-2015 at 12:56 ----------

I'm wondering why he thought it was better to write a suicide note instead of a resignation letter to the party.

Also why didn't he discuss his problems with his Father ?

Edited by Gamston
typo error

Lord Feldman seems to be under increasing pressure to step down:

Ray Johnson, Elliott Johnson's father, wants Feldman to take responsibility and resign. He has also questioned the independence of the inquiry into Clarke’s behaviour, calling for a fully separate investigation into his son’s death.

His position is backed by Paul Goodman, the editor of ConservativeHome, and former Tory MP, who wrote: “The buck does not stop with Shapps. It stops with Feldman. Since this is so, it follows that his position as chairman is now untenable.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/29/lord-feldman-give-evidence-tory-bullying-claims-mark-clarke

Edited by Hogg
typo