Tv repair worth it?

You're really selling it there:

"It's a cheap and easy fix, as long as you don't blow your arm off with a huge electric shock"

---------- Post added 30-11-2015 at 17:20 ----------

Google warriors always jump on to the subject of bad CAP's. It is impossible to tell without testing.It could be any number of things.

yes it could be anything but modern TV use very large cheap electrolytic caps with low lifespan.

---------- Post added 30-11-2015 at 17:20 ----------

yes it could be anything but modern TV use very large cheap electrolytic caps with low lifespan.

Actually most often it's not the large filter cap infact when messing with them I never found one of those to be bad. It's most often the capacitors on the output that fail....and really it could be anything and not just that caps can and do fail often without any signs you will then need at least an ESR meter to test them.

A quid or so for capacitors from Bardwells and the ability to use a soldering iron and absorb info from a youtube vid.

Take precautions though, they can give you a right belt if you don't drain down.

This sounds to me very much like an encouragement to have a go rather than pay someone who knows what they're doing.

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Just wondered if anyone knew whether it was worth repairing a large 40" TV (which just seems now to suddenly not want to turn on that's all). The light flashes but nobody is home! :confused:

Just getting the feelers out on whether it might be worth trying to repair it(might just simply be the switch or something) or simply investing in a new one. It is admittedly about 4 years old now. Do people still come out to repair these days or do you have to take them to a repair shop?

cheers

Just a thought-if I turn my tv off with the remote (which leaves it in standby mode), but then later decide to turn the tv off completeley by using the on/off switch the following happens. When I next want to watch tv, I turn it on at the on/off switch and all it does is flashes like yours. This is because it has been left in standby mode prior to being turned off. Could that be the problem with yours?

Have yo tried using the remote to turn the tv on after turning the tv on with the on/off switch??

Edited by Janus