The First Time I Met A Caribbean Person!

old tup

I first saw a Jamaicn in Liverpool in the early fiftys. I rememebr clearly asking my mum if all black people knew each other!!!

Outside of London, wasn't Liverpool one of the main places to take in West Indian immigrants ('40s, '50s) ? Perhaps Birmingham too, but the former two are seaports.

The first person from the Caribbean that I met worked with my grandfather at Hadfield's in 1955. I think his name was Matthew and my grandad told me that he worked hard, saved his money and eventually went back to Antigua to get married and start a business.

We had a Trinidadian friend at the end of the war. He had served in the RAF & had stayed...
I wonder if he knew Cy Grant. He qualified as a navigator and took part in bombing raids. He would actually have qualified as a Lancaster pilot, but the white crews wouldn't serve under a black captain. But he had the last laugh - in a radio interview he said "It didn't seem to matter to them that as navigator I could point the aircraft to anywhere I wanted - and could point them to hell". :)

My first meeting was mid 50's when mum fostered my sister,she was the first black person in parson cross,but still managed to get on in life,I bet many on here will know her.

Ah Patsy and she used to have a pint or two with Daz Harvey and myself in complete angler :hihi:

Some of these gents were actually African as is the roots of most caribbeans. I rememember a couple of great guys in the 1950s/60s. Gabriel who worked in the steelworks and lived at Carwood road. Also Max Omare who was mostly known for the Shades and other local nightclubs.

I remember the first caribbean person i sawwas way back in 55/56, my dad was taking me for what he called a walk round the block. Walking down the Wicker he stopped to talk to this man who he called Mac, in later years i found out he worked with him on the railway, iwas dumbstruck seeing those big white eyes looking at me and he gave me a penny.

In the 50s there were two waves of immigrants, the Hungarians from the Uprising, and the colonials from the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia.

Some of them were the most racist (Muslims and Hindus wouldn't eat their packinup in the same cabin as some others) and a couple of others became my good friends during the time we worked together.

Frank, Trinidadian, got me to throw away my pilchard sandwiches and share his curried goat, and Haji, Somalian I think, only worked with us for a couple of months and then opened a little café on Button Lane, one of the first "foreign" restaurants in Sheffield. Folks may remember it.

Edited by trastrick

In the 50s there were two waves of immigrants, the Hungarians from the Uprising, and the colonials from the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia.

Some of them were the most racist (Muslims and Hindus wouldn't eat their packinup in the same cabin as some others) and a couple of others became my good friends during the time we worked together.

Frank, Trinidadian, got me to throw away my pilchard sandwiches and share his curried goat, and Haji, Somalian I think, only worked with us for a couple of months and then opened a little café on Button Lane, one of the first "foreign" restaurants in Sheffield. Folks may remember it.

Where was/is Button Lane ?

Edited by stpetre
Add