Organ Donor Regulations in Wales - Rest of UK?

If this policy became UK-wide...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If this policy became UK-wide...

• If you're already registered, would you NOT "Opt Out"
    • If you're already registered, would you "Opt Out"
    • If you're not already registered, would you NOT "Opt Out"
    • If you're not already registered, would you "Opt Out"

I think you mean I have to object to something I don't want.

At the moment I can make a free choice to make a gift.

See what you can do with words. Now since you appear to be deliberately missing the point - as usual - I'll leave you to it.[color="Silver"

Correct. No one should ever have to opt out of anything.

Of course there haven't been any scandals covered up in he past have there? Liverpool care pathway, mid Staffs are the two that spring to mind oh and the Alderhay hospital scandal, that was to do with taking organs without permission, I believe Guys and St Thomas's in London did something similar. Might be a bit too tempting for cash strapped hospitals with a few body parts going spare, we will see.

What? Who on earth is going to buy them? Do we have a black market in body parts here? Serious question as I just cannot see how this would even begin to work...maybe I'm being naive!

What? Who on earth is going to buy them? Do we have a black market in body parts here? Serious question as I just cannot see how this would even begin to work...maybe I'm being naive!

What I said earlier about the early naughties scandal:

The hospitals did exchange tissue for "donations", and the tissue wasn't just used for research some of it was used in the manufacture of drugs. It was an utter disgrace, but something that the lessons has been learned from.

This is completely different from someone actually donating organs to someone else. When this happens there is a clear record of what's happened, it would be impossible to sweep a donation under the carpet.

They are not though. Before I was giving a gift through my own choice.

You will still be able to give that gift through choice, you just won't have to go to any effort to do so :)

If you don't want to give that gift, you can do so through choice but you have to make a little effort to do so.

If it is carried through to the rest of the UK, I will be presumed to be the property of the state after death and I must actively dissent. This change is a dangerous presumption that the state owns us and can decide what to do with us how it sees fit unless people object. We stopped being subjects of the State a long time ago and became citizens.

Nothing other than the way you concent (in Wales, at least) has changed about organ donorship. You will not be property of the state and they will not be able to do with you as they see fit.

Only the usual conventional organs may be taken and used only for transplant into a recipient patient.

They are not though. Before I was giving a gift through my own choice.

If it is carried through to the rest of the UK, I will be presumed to be the property of the state after death and I must actively dissent. This change is a dangerous presumption that the state owns us and can decide what to do with us how it sees fit unless people object. We stopped being subjects of the State a long time ago and became citizens.

Taken from a Law undergraduate, commenting on a legal blog:

Under UK law, corpses do not constitute property (within the definition of the Theft Act 1968) and thus in them there cannot be a right of ownership.

As they do not constitute property, it is unclear to whom they belong. For the purposes of a burial they 'belong' to the next of kin, though this is not a real right of ownership and does not provide the next of kin any legal right over the 'property'.

There was a case a few years ago where the parents disagreed with a cause of death of their child, and refused to burry them until the correct cause had been found. The council stepped in and buried the child without the consent of the parents.

So the question of who owns you body after it dies seems a complicate question with no definitive answer.

As I said earlier in cases of organ donation, the best practice os to go along with what the family wants and to use the organ donation register as a guide. Personally I would like to donate my organs after I die, but I told my wife that ultimately it's up to her, and I'd understand any decision that she came to.*

*Obviously I'd be dead so I'd be completely unaware of whatever decision that she made because I'd be dead!!!

Not sure about that, but the Welsh were the first to start charging for plastic bags weren't they? Therefore, anyone buying a new liver or whatever will be faced with the extra 5p on top of it.

More like 10p Alcoblog. Just to be on the safe side I'd be doubling those flimsy bags up. A few Oranges busting out the bottom isn't going to turn heads, but 'recently deceased Bettys 3 pounder brain' dropping out the bottom may raise eyebrows.

Not sure about that, but the Welsh were the first to start charging for plastic bags weren't they? Therefore, anyone buying a new liver or whatever will be faced with the extra 5p on top of it.

More like 10p Alcoblog. Just to be on the safe side I'd be doubling those flimsy bags up. A few Oranges busting out the bottom isn't going to turn heads, but 'recently deceased Bettys 3 pounder brain' dropping out the bottom may raise eyebrows.

*shakes head at the short-term thinkers & sighs*

I'll be paying a full English pound and going with the bag organ for life!

I'd dispute that and say that quite a few head would turn if you had oranges bursting out of your bottom, and although not classed officially as an organ, a new sphincter would be on my list of body parts for replacing.

I shall keep my mouth shut as price of colostomy bags as I feel it would be in bad taste.

I understand and respect both sides of the argument, but if I could share my own experience and change just one persons perspective on this, that would make me very happy.

I have been in the fortunate position to be able to donate a kidney to my beautiful younger Sis. That was 5 years ago. Nothing changed for me, I have one kidney that is doing a grand job and my Sis has her life back to some sort of normality, doing all the things we take for granted.

Sadly I know of two others (one a family member and one a friend of the family) currently undergoing dialysis - if I could return to the wonderful renal unit at the Northern General tomorrow and donate again I would do so in a heartbeat.

Strongly oppose this measure. Your body is your body. This shifts the assumption to the state having first dibs on your organs and is quite simply wrong. The act of donation should be a positive one. There should be increased efforts to get people to opt in.

The state? I think you mean another dying person.