Norton Retail Park - St James

• 3 months later...

Does anyone else think it was a mistake to put the St. James Retail Park at Norton upon the former Norton College site? 

It used to be a pleasant residential area. I would often cycle around Norton Park Avenue and View on the quiet roads. Now they are busy with people parking for the retail park or ratrunners avoiding the two sets of lights on the parkway.

The old college site was pleasant, most of it being green and surrounded by lovely cherry trees. This has been replaced by a wall to wall car park. So much green space has already been lost in Norton such as the playing fields on Matthews Lane and the green land surrounding the former special school. Norton is becoming so built up,

Mark Walker

On 29/10/2018 at 19:56, Daven said:

The junction is perfectly ok if you are a competent driver.

Not with the way some drivers position themselves at the junction. Doesnt matter how competent you are, if others aren’t. 

Edited by WarPig

55 minutes ago, WarPig said:

Not with the way some drivers position themselves at the junction. Doesnt matter how competent you are, if others aren’t. 

'Imagine the most stupid  thing that the drivers around you might do and be ready for them to do it and you won't go far wrong' my lovely Dad used to say.

He was so right.

On 29/10/2018 at 20:01, biscotti said:

It gets very congested though.

I was there at 3pm today. Even at that time on a dreary Monday in late October, it was very busy. In six weeks time it will be bonkers.

15 hours ago, walkermark said:

or ratrunners avoiding the two sets of lights on the parkway.

It is a great rat run, even with all the speed bumps.

• 2 months later...

noticed over the last few weeks many u turns at the entrance to the retail park,ie coming from the meadowhead roundabout,heading to  norton,they take the retail exit,but do a unturn to

gain a quicker access to dyche lane,possibly school pick up parents,needs a sign to stop this,also lots going into the retail park about a few yards in and doing the same,any others noticed this?

7 minutes ago, bassett one said:

noticed over the last few weeks many u turns at the entrance to the retail park,ie coming from the meadowhead roundabout,heading to  norton,they take the retail exit,but do a unturn to

gain a quicker access to dyche lane,possibly school pick up parents,needs a sign to stop this,also lots going into the retail park about a few yards in and doing the same,any others noticed this?

It's tempting because otherwise you have to drive an extra 1 mile to get to the same position but on the other side of the road, thus adding to the climate change emergency unnecessarily. I cannot remember there being a no U-turn sign there. I've never tried doing it myself but if I needed to, I'd be tempted.

Edited by WiseOwl182

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

there is no sign ,so its legal,but a bit dangerous dont you think

Not really no, because if you can go through the lights on green to be able to do it in the first place, the traffic coming the other way is sat at a red light expecting you to turn right across them.