BBC Failure - "Lorry shunted me and police did nothing!"

It's not illegal if you are phoning the emergency services for fairly obvious reasons.

Taken from the gov uk site...'Even if you’re using a hands-free phone you should avoid making or answering calls when driving

All phone calls distract drivers' attention from the road.'

While the lorry driver used his vehicle as a weapon which is patently the wrong reaction...but

The car driver blocked the middle lane- The HGV driver would break the law by undertaking or by overtaking in the ouside lane.. A stupid position to put another driver in and we don't know how long ge'd been sitting there oblivious to correct driving proceedures.

They should both go on driver refresher courses and pay big fines.

preferably together....

Taken from the gov uk site...'Even if you’re using a hands-free phone you should avoid making or answering calls when driving

All phone calls distract drivers' attention from the road.'

Yeah "avoid". You asked is it legal. I've told you the answer so either keep on googling for the right thing or accept the answer.

---------- Post added 02-12-2015 at 17:51 ----------

Let's put it this way,if you were tootling down the middle lane and you see a hgv bearing down on you what would you do.Me i would pullover to nearside lane and let him pass.How would you do it .

I wouldn't have been doing 50 in the middle lane to begin with :)

I can't remember. Did we decide if it was illegal? I'm sure it not!

I think the rational thinkers agreed it was legal as long as you don't do a lane switch to the inside lane purely to undertake and then back again, or something like that. If you just happen to drift down the inside of someone else who is moving more slowly than you then you've probably not done anything wrong. Might be unwise though as they may not be expecting you to be there...

Oh I agree, the car driver was being a twonk, but that doesn't give the lorry any right to crash into him!

---------- Post added 02-12-2015 at 17:10 ----------

If someone hit my car like that on a motorway I'd be on the phone to the police too. Slightly surprised people seem to be taking the lorry drivers side on this, then again it is SF isn't it and it wasn't a bus or a taxi.

Woah hold on there! I'm certainly not taking the lorry drivers side at all so don't know where you've got that from in my posts?? Unless you were referring to other people??

I'm just surprised the bloke in the car didn't put his foot down and do one!! I would... I certainly wouldn't follow the lorry for three hours then claim to be intimidated then rushed off to chuffin hospital!

I think the blokes all out to sell his dashcams and that's it.. Yeah the lorry driver is obviously an idiot but the car driver saw it as an opportunity and that's the top and bottom of it.. IMO

I think the rational thinkers agreed it was legal as long as you don't do a lane switch to the inside lane purely to undertake and then back again, or something like that. If you just happen to drift down the inside of someone else who is moving more slowly than you then you've probably not done anything wrong. Might be unwise though as they may not be expecting you to be there...

I have done this myself, and had funny looks from the idiot hogging the middle lane. I've seen it at morning rush hour when I go to our Leeds branch, the inside lane is almost moving freely all the way, yet the middle and outside lane are rammed. I think a hell of a lot of drivers need some serious retraining.