BBC Failure - "Lorry shunted me and police did nothing!"

Taken from the gov uk site...'Even if you’re using a hands-free phone you should avoid making or answering calls when driving

All phone calls distract drivers' attention from the road.'

Using a proper hands free kit and provided you're not distracted, it's currently perfectly legal to talk on the phone hands free, whether it's to 999 or a chat with your mum.

Using a proper hands free kit and provided you're not distracted, it's currently perfectly legal to talk on the phone hands free, whether it's to 999 or a chat with your mum.

You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.

Woah hold on there! I'm certainly not taking the lorry drivers side at all so don't know where you've got that from in my posts?? Unless you were referring to other people??

I'm just surprised the bloke in the car didn't put his foot down and do one!! I would... I certainly wouldn't follow the lorry for three hours then claim to be intimidated then rushed off to chuffin hospital!

I think the blokes all out to sell his dashcams and that's it.. Yeah the lorry driver is obviously an idiot but the car driver saw it as an opportunity and that's the top and bottom of it.. IMO

I did think you were siding with the driver as it does read like that. Apologies.

You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.

Hence why I included the qualifier "provided you're not distracted". Thanks for restating my post though.

The words 'self preservation' come to mind.

Yes the lorry driver was in the wrong but why the hell would you antagonise a 38 ton behemoth moving alongside you at 56 mph?

With regards using a phone whilst driving, if you are stopped by police for using a mobile phone one of the questions asked " we're you making a 999 call?".

If the answer is yes and you can show them, there is no offence.

To me this is the sort of story the BBC should NOT be reporting on. It is sensationalist nonsense that has no right to be on the BBC website. What do you think?

Now I think there are worse stories on the BBC news website. This is quite resasonable. For example this bottom of the barrel stuff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34747367

Or for that matter anything to do with the royal family I find a non story.