Can we afford a pension rise for our old.

The deflection is the point, in this case.

Penny is a self-confessed tax-avoider. If he paid his taxes, then taxes on others could be lower. That would allow more people to be able to support their families without state aid. Penny is a scrounger, that's a fact.

Of course, Penny's tax avoidance pales into insignificance in comparison to Boots, Amazon, Facebook and the rest. Just imagine what this country would look like if all of those companies paid tax on their real UK profits:rolleyes:

Who is best for the country.

Someone that supports themselves and their familiy but avoids paying some of the tax they are required to pay.

Or

Someone that can't or won't support themselves and their familiy and relies on the tax paid by other.

I know rather a lot of retired folk who are still well under 60. Most of them worked in the public sector. What is the retirement age of a taxman?

I work in the public sector and the retirement age is the same as the national retirement age, however there are schemes to enable people to retire earlier as the government is always keen to shrink the public sector workforce.

Often if they are a couple of years off retiring after a long service, they can accept a deal which gives them a lump sum to go early, with their pension (when they eventually get it) being unaffected as if they worked right up to retirement age.

however this kind of scheme is not always available.

If I stay in the same organisation my retirement age will be 67 if the rules stay as they are.

However it is possible to go early if there is enough paid into your occupational pension to give a good enough income but it won't be as much as if you work till retirement age.

Who is best for the country.

Someone that supports themselves and their familiy but avoids paying some of the tax they are required to pay.

Or

Someone that can't or won't support themselves and their familiy and relies on the tax paid by other.

Yes there are some who can't or won't support themselves, and there are some that engage in, what the Chancellor called "aggressive tax avoidance". Probably most people try to support themselves and there family, and pay their dues to HMRC.

Just because someone supports themselves doesn't give them licence to avoid the tax they are required to pay. We all benefit from a good infrastructure and decent services.

Firstly not having a go at you. But i have to disagree with the message in your post that suggests pensioners were all taxpayers. I know pensioners who have hardly worked a day in their lives, but come the age of 65 they are suddenly whiter than white and had terrible burdens to overcome all their lives. Well its not true, todays pensioners benefitted from low house prices and easier access to employment, and surprise they didn't all fight in 2 world wars either.

Its the young people that should be getting more help what with the dire employment situation, it is them that will have to pay the pensions (and rises) for years to come.

I did not fight in the war ,but I was born during the war and wages were a lot less in 1963 I was on the buses the wage was £7-7s-0d that is £7-35 in todays currency for a 44 hour 6 day week which is around National minimum hourly rate today.

If you worked for companies which had a pension scheme you could join and if not you could pay extra into your state pension pot this had several names ( super an. serps and second pension ) and is definitely worth it as I had around 18 years in company scheme and over 30 years paying into the state top up scheme which adds over 50% to the basic state pension.

There was as far as I know any benefits paid to working people though.

I work in the public sector and the retirement age is the same as the national retirement age, however there are schemes to enable people to retire earlier as the government is always keen to shrink the public sector workforce.

Often if they are a couple of years off retiring after a long service, they can accept a deal which gives them a lump sum to go early, with their pension (when they eventually get it) being unaffected as if they worked right up to retirement age.

however this kind of scheme is not always available.

If I stay in the same organisation my retirement age will be 67 if the rules stay as they are.

However it is possible to go early if there is enough paid into your occupational pension to give a good enough income but it won't be as much as if you work till retirement age.

And I have a friend in the public sector who will be retiring aged 50.

"Can we afford a pension rise for our old."?

Can we afford the welfare state ..fullstop?

Can we afford to bomb Syria? Can we afford to have over 800 Lords claiming £300 a day, etc. etc..Government waste is endemic. Why pick on pensioners? (incidently how long have pensions been regarded as 'benefits'?)

Anyone would think we were the only country to have a welfare state, (the government like to make us think that we are.) We aren't. A welfare state in some form or other is essential in all civilised countries.

In fact when it comes to welfare our government is actually rather stingy if you compare it to other European countries. As posted before, our pension comes in at 34th lowest out of 40 OECD countries.

Yes there are some who can't or won't support themselves, and there are some that engage in, what the Chancellor called "aggressive tax avoidance". Probably most people try to support themselves and there family, and pay their dues to HMRC.

Just because someone supports themselves doesn't give them licence to avoid the tax they are required to pay. We all benefit from a good infrastructure and decent services.

The tax avoider will still be contributing far more towards the good infrastructure and decent services than the people that are unable or unwilling to support themselves.

The tax avoider will still be contributing far more towards the good infrastructure and decent services than the people that are unable or unwilling to support themselves.

Bully for them! Give them a knighthood.

No better still, ensure that loopholes are closed and fund HMRC so that they can investigate tax dodging.

Edited by Mister M

Can we afford to bomb Syria? Can we afford to have over 800 Lords claiming £300 a day, etc. etc..Government waste is endemic. Why pick on pensioners? (incidently how long have pensions been regarded as 'benefits'?)

Anyone would think we were the only country to have a welfare state, (the government like to make us think that we are.) We aren't. A welfare state in some form or other is essential in all civilised countries.

In fact when it comes to welfare our government is actually rather stingy if you compare it to other European countries. As posted before, our pension comes in at 34th lowest out of 40 OECD countries.

Diverting funds from bombing Syria would mean pensioners could have c £5-7.50 a year extra.

Diverting expenses from HOL would get Pensioners c £1.20 a year.

The problem with pensioners is that there are an increasing number becayse of the demographic and they are living longer. This means its a double whamy for the government becayse they have to pay more people for longer.