Wigfalls Showroom... Firth Park

At Firth Park underneath the Wharncliffe Hotel was Wigfalls showroom where I and a large gang of kids from Shiregreen Junior school saw a television for the first time in 1951...at 4 pm after school we all ran down to see this new wonder..The programme we watched was a childrens show called "Puck of Pooks Hill"...another childrens show I remember was called "Billy Bean and his wonderful machine"( anyone still remember Yoohoo the Cuckoo??) The TV was a brand new 9 inch

square screen job with a sort of purple glow..No salesman or staff ever asked us to leave co's they knew that we would all go home and pester our parents to buy one ...Question is Wigfalls still there????.

Originally posted by roth ghost

Wigfalls was bought out by the dixons group, I think it was 1999! can any-one remeber the fire at the bakery at fitzallen square that disdroyed the Wigfalls building at the side of it!

Nah much earlier than that about late 80's I would say, Dont remember "Wiggies" still going on in the 90's

found some pics of the Wigfalls fire.... http://www.barr94.freeserve.co.uk/past.htm

Originally posted by roth ghost

Wigfalls was bought out by the dixons group, I think it was 1999! can any-one remeber the fire at the bakery at fitzallen square that disdroyed the Wigfalls building at the side of it!

Yes, I remember their store in Fitzi Square.

The building was roughly where the Superdrug/bookies are, now.

My mother bought her hoover, and an English-Electric brand single-tub washing machine which had an electrically powered mangle on the top from Wiggies, on the weekly, when I was a tot. I remember the chap who used to call, each week for the payments. Uncle Tom, me and my sister called him.

oh, yes, I also remember the redd-ish speckled carpet that they sold her for our living room. I also remember that they supplied 2 different pieces, as the living room was extremely long, and , my goodness! The row that ensued when it was discovered that one pipece was "Bedroom Quality" (IE not such a hardwearing quality) and the other was "Living-Room Quality". After a couple of months of use, you could see how badly the bedroom quality piece was wearing, compared to the living room quality piece.

With regard to the old buildinigs that used to be in Fitzi Square, I also remember the classic cinema, too which was just at the inner side of coopland's current site, on the corner of the square and Commercial street.

PT

Wigfalls definately closed in 1970s on Bellhouse Rd, it is now Lloyds chemists, ed note: a visiting friend from Firth Park area says he was in the old showroom underneath, ( this used to be the ballroom before that) a number of weeks ago, it is now a second hand store room full of junk. He was there to photograph the old murals on the wall, some signs of which still exist.

I don't think any of Bellhouse would still be recognisable to timbuck if he came back. ps: re Grey Cats group, the drummers name was Dennis Loveday.

?

In the 20/30s it was the Royal cycle works, Wigfalls built cycles [Wiggies gas pipes we called them dont know why]

I was working on Angel st when the Wigfalls shop was burnt down saw the roof fall in i think it was 1984.

According to my dad the bicycles were called Wiggies gas pipes because the frames were constructed out of heavy tubing (hence the name Gas Pipes) and were not as light weight or as good quality when compared with an equivalent Raleigh bicycle.