Wigfalls Showroom... Firth Park

Originally posted by foxy27

Did Wigfalls have a place on Rutland Rd about half way up?

I am not sure about them being at Rutland Road, I think you're right, Foxy, they were on Rutland Road, but I am a bit hazy in my memory of that.

I know that they had a factory-type building in the triangle of land between Spital Hill, Verdon street, and Rock Street, on the side of the hill overlooking the Wicker Arches, which stood derelict from at least the early/mid eighties (If I have my facts right)

What I do remember is a school-age lad being either killed, or very seriously hurt, at least, in that derelict building, about fifteen or so years ago. He and a friend were trespassing inside the building and (IIRC) somehow managed to fall down one of the lift-shafts or over the edge of one of the half-demolished floors.

PT

wigfalls were on rutland road, they had there head office there and accounts department, you used to have to wait about a week for credit clearence, not like now (instant credit) maybe if it was the same now as it was then people would have more time to cool off about a purchase and the average persons debt would be lower!

Originally posted by roth ghost

Wigfalls was bought out by the dixons group, I think it was 1999! can any-one remeber the fire at the bakery at fitzallen square that disdroyed the Wigfalls building at the side of it!

That happened in 1984 around April time, I know this because I was working in the TRUEFORM shoe-shop at the top of Waingate for a couple of weeks as a Trainee manager directly before I went to work at the same in Oswestry in Shropshire.

We watched the blaze from outside the shop.

Wigfalls on Bellhouse rd. When I was about 8 or 10 or something, i won 10shillings in their colouring competition. I remember it was a picture of a woman and a fridge. Never won anything since. Mom and dad used to swear by Wigfalls. Telly was rented from there.

I thought Wigfalls were bought by Granada, because we used to rent a television from them at that time, and our contract transferred to Granada.

However, the following (boring) document from the competetion competetion says that Wigfalls were bought in 1988, by (the then) Dixons Group.

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/1990/fulltext/272c2.pdf.

I don't understand why Granada took over our telly rental!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Originally posted by Timbuck

At Firth Park underneath the Wharncliffe Hotel was Wigfalls showroom where I and a large gang of kids from Shiregreen Junior school saw a television for the first time in 1951...at 4 pm after school we all ran down to see this new wonder..The programme we watched was a childrens show called "Puck of Pooks Hill"...another childrens show I remember was called "Billy Bean and his wonderful machine"( anyone still remember Yoohoo the Cuckoo??) The TV was a brand new 9 inch

square screen job with a sort of purple glow..No salesman or staff ever asked us to leave co's they knew that we would all go home and pester our parents to buy one ...Question is Wigfalls still there????.

when i was a lad in the war years it was a dance hall before wigfalls took it over