Wigfalls Showroom... Firth Park

my first bike came from wiggies. It was down on attercliffe road. The shop is still standing but has been different things over the years. this must have been in the 1950 s. There was also one in Darnall and my mum rented a washer from them,not many people bought them. The Tally Man came for the money each week. \He would probably be muggedtoday!!!!!

At Firth Park underneath the Wharncliffe Hotel was Wigfalls showroom where I and a large gang of kids from Shiregreen Junior school saw a television for the first time in 1951...at 4 pm after school we all ran down to see this new wonder..The programme we watched was a childrens show called "Puck of Pooks Hill"...another childrens show I remember was called "Billy Bean and his wonderful machine"( anyone still remember Yoohoo the Cuckoo??) The TV was a brand new 9 inch

square screen job with a sort of purple glow..No salesman or staff ever asked us to leave co's they knew that we would all go home and pester our parents to buy one ...Question is Wigfalls still there????.

Wigfalls is long gone both from Firth Park and within Sheffield.

I have lived at Shiregreen for some 15 years and it hasn't been their in my time. I only recall Wigfalls at Fitzallen Square.

I bought my first transistor radio from Wiggies, my grandma took me to the store on Shalesmoor I think it was about 1968. Did Wiggies have a repair shop in the Wicker somewhere behind the old arches?. Also got my first record player from the shop on Bellhouse Road.

:) The wiggy's down firth park is where I rented my 1st vhs recorder in 1983. It was , check this one out, 429 quid to buy AT THAT TIME and like a muppet I rented it for 2 and half years at 30 quid a month. I supppose you to pay for the development and all that but you can get one for 30 quid now! Philips had the cd tech then too but were rubbished. ps they did offer it to buy for 40 quid after I cancelled my rental

There was also a Wigfalls just a little higher than the Royal Infirmary on the opposite side of the road. My first wife rented a radio from there to listen to Radio Luxenburg. It was three old shops knocked into one big one.

I’ve noticed somebody casually mentioned Jays furniture store which stood somewhere at the top end of The Moor. How it survived as a business I do not know. I think it was the Sheffield Star that found out that at least one of their wardrobes was made from old tea chests! It had ‘Malaya Tea’ stamped across the inside back!

Wigfalls head office was located on Rutland Rd. opposite Stanley Tool works. Their T.V service department was on Mowbray St. In the 50's and 60's over 45 service technicians were employed, repairing mostly T.V. sets and radio's that Wiggies had rented out.

Retail outlets were in almost every major shopping area of the city as well as Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster and other close towns. Plus they had a very large catalogue order business. Where did it all go?