Wigfalls Showroom... Firth Park

I've been reading this thread with some interest as I worked for Wigfalls for 9 years.Not many people know that infact Wigfalls was country wide.They had shops around Birmingham,Bristol and on the south coast and went under a number of names (Blanchard's on Infirmary Road for instance).

I remember Blanchards on infirmary road very well, my mother used to take me in there in the 60's as a small child.

I remember the deep dark wooden counters that they served you at, and I seem to remember they had that whizzy chute-thing with the cannisters for the money that usexd to shoot around the shop.

I also seem to remember that there was an office-y type room at the top of the central flight of stairs. I may be wrong...

But I am very surprised, to find that Wiggies owned Blanchards, I never knew that!

PT

I used to work for Wigfalls. It would have been around 1970/71. I worked in the "accounts" office as a punch card operator. These offices were situated under the wicker archers. All I remember of the job was that I "in-put" information and also checked the work of others. Crikey.......I can't even remember much of what I actually "in-put" except that it was electrical equipment and peoples accounts. I suppose it was "hire-purchase" stuff. Boring anyhow.

I do remember seeing wigfalls shops all over the place but I couldn't for the life of me tell you where.

I got my first bike from Wiggies on Hillsborough (where Halifax is now) when I was about 5 or 6. It was a blue three wheeler with white mudguards and an extentable chrome handle on the back with a knurled knob on the end. I think the reason for this was to stop the tricyclist (ie me) from scooting off, but I used to let my dad push me with it.

I also remember Wiggies at Hillsborough having loads of stuff pinched. In the late 60's/early 70's, a van pulled up outside the shop on a Thursday afternoon (half day closing) and some blokes got out dressed in white smocks. They must've broke in and proceeded to load the van through the shop's front door while shoppers just walked past oblivious of the daring crime in progress!

• 1 month later...