Wigfalls Showroom... Firth Park

Delia,

Yes I remember your dad, Great to know he is well. You may like to tell him the sad news that John Mosley died early this year and Peter Green has now retired.

JIGINC

John Gabbitas

Thank you JIGINC. I rang Dad and told him about the postings. He said that he would have a look at them on the Forum. He was amazed that after all this time someone remembered him, mind you he is one of those unforgettable types. Blessss. Keep Well. Delia

Hi JIGINC I dont rember your name but there were a lot of people in the tv room I stayed until `64 Any clue?

DeliasDad

Hi,

Send me a PM and your Email address. Lets see what names we can remember.

jiginc

Wiggies at Firth Park!

Nice lady who managed the furniture part in the basement - Mrs Goddard.

I remember the murals - they were quite daunting for children, particularly since we were not as exposed to things as kids today - I remember one picture of a lady in probably Elizabethan style dress with shoes which curled at the front - scary or what!

My old piano teacher Miss Judge lived in thef irst house on the Crescent which you had to pass to get to Wiggies - we always left by the metal staircase at the side which came onto Beavercotes Road to go home - good times those childhood years.

Remember that wonderful bread from Elwoods and Pork Pie from Friedrich's - we always went to J H Watson's butcher - that wonderful Mr Foster - what a lovely man.

I remember that metal staircase I went down to the Warncliffe one night for a pint and parked my bike behind that staircase in the dark..When I came out somebody had pinched my back and front light.

• 3 months later...
I thought Wigfalls were bought by Granada, because we used to rent a television from them at that time, and our contract transferred to Granada.

However, the following (boring) document from the competetion competetion says that Wigfalls were bought in 1988, by (the then) Dixons Group.

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/1990/fulltext/272c2.pdf.

I don't understand why Granada took over our telly rental!

Yes i remember Wigfalls changing to Granada.we ended up buying our rented set for £100, that was back in 1986/7 IIRC.

My Elder brother bought his first bikefrom"Wiggys" on Infirmary Rd,opposite the old Infirmaryl A "Wiggys"gas pipe cost £3 19 6 at a shilling a week 1935 that was. I bought a Piano Accordian from the shop 1939 on Attercliffe Common Forget the price Long time ago now