Wigfalls Showroom... Firth Park

Yes, I remember their store in Fitzi Square.

The building was roughly where the Superdrug/bookies are, now.

My mother bought her hoover, and an English-Electric brand single-tub washing machine which had an electrically powered mangle on the top from Wiggies, on the weekly, when I was a tot. I remember the chap who used to call, each week for the payments. Uncle Tom, me and my sister called him.

oh, yes, I also remember the redd-ish speckled carpet that they sold her for our living room. I also remember that they supplied 2 different pieces, as the living room was extremely long, and , my goodness! The row that ensued when it was discovered that one pipece was "Bedroom Quality" (IE not such a hardwearing quality) and the other was "Living-Room Quality". After a couple of months of use, you could see how badly the bedroom quality piece was wearing, compared to the living room quality piece.

With regard to the old buildinigs that used to be in Fitzi Square, I also remember the classic cinema, too which was just at the inner side of coopland's current site, on the corner of the square and Commercial street.

PT

I am sure there was a restaurant under the cinema. The Old Bell Inn was in Fitzalan Square too. There also was a bank roughly where Cooplands is. The Yorkshire Bank at the top of Haymarket was the first Sheffield Head Post Office - before the one in Fitzalan Square was built.I remember getting a tram at Lane Top and getting off it in Fitzalan Square.

I worked in a furniture shop in the 60s, might have been a wigfalls, i forget, it was in the middle of town, i think it was near where Marks is now, they also had another one down the moor....back then everyone paid cash for their HP goods, every payment was posted into these big ledger books which we had to climb on the ladder to get to, pull it down, post 10 shillings,get back on the ladder, pull the next one down, I must have been in good shape back then :)

I am sure there was a restaurant under the cinema. The Old Bell Inn was in Fitzalan Square too. There also was a bank roughly where Cooplands is. The Yorkshire Bank at the top of Haymarket was the first Sheffield Head Post Office - before the one in Fitzalan Square was built.I remember getting a tram at Lane Top and getting off it in Fitzalan Square.

there was, indeed a restaurant in the "cellars" of the Classic cinema.

• 10 months later...
My dads name was Denton Burkinshaw. Alive and kicking and now living in Gorleston nr Great Yarmouth.

Hi Delia I used to work with your dad in the "Radio Room" at mobray street, my name is Mick Smith don't know if he remembers me but i do him.

• 1 year later...

Wigfalls was a family business. started by Henry in Infirmary road selling bikes I think.

I served an apprenticeship in the service depot in Mowbray Street service was sold to Servicepoint and the Servicescope and then to Ganada in late 80s

Henry Wigfall had no sons, and his daughter married into a family named Morell who eventualy took over the running of the company.

I remember the Fitz Zq fire and help with the refit - i think they had a fire sale from the loading bay at the bottom of the steps in the corner of the Sq

Great Shame the Wigfalls named died - it was a fantastic place to work full of characters - it was part of the fabric of the city