Learn to service your own car

I was wondering if I could be an apprentice for couple of hours. I just need to know how to jack the car, hold a wrench, drain the oil, change filters?

I am not planning on being an expert, but will really appreciate anyone can guide me to do at least this.

BTW I don't even know how to fit a shelf :(

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 21:59 ----------

Hi

It's a V reg Focus and have a tool kit but have no idea how to use it..

No Jack though!!

You say 'just' but even then, you're talking about climbing under more than a ton of metal. For a start, you don't rely on a jack, the jack is merely for lifting. To support it you need decent axle stands.

The oil filter, when you change it make sure the old seal has not stuck to the mating face and is removed completely, lubricate the seal on the new filter, make sure you fit it tight enough that it doesn't leak but not so tight that it distorts the new seal (causing a leak).

Use a new seal on the oil sump bung. Again, tighten it enough to seal it but not so tight that it strips the threads. This also applies if you're changing the spark plugs (do not cross-thread them!).

After removing the wheels, make sure you tighten the studs/nuts to the correct torque. Your life and the lives of others will depend on this.

You say 'just' but even then, you're talking about climbing under more than a ton of metal. For a start, you don't rely on a jack, the jack is merely for lifting. To support it you need decent axle stands.

The oil filter, when you change it make sure the old seal has not stuck to the mating face and is removed completely, lubricate the seal on the new filter, make sure you fit it tight enough that it doesn't leak but not so tight that it distorts the new seal (causing a leak).

Use a new seal on the oil sump bung. Again, tighten it enough to seal it but not so tight that it strips the threads. This also applies if you're changing the spark plugs (do not cross-thread them!).

After removing the wheels, make sure you tighten the studs/nuts to the correct torque. Your life and the lives of others will depend on this.

Thanks for that. Really take on board what you are saying.Is there anyway you'd be able to show/demonstrate as I need reassurance that I am doing it right?

I was wondering if I could be an apprentice for couple of hours. I just need to know how to jack the car, hold a wrench, drain the oil, change filters?

I am not planning on being an expert, but will really appreciate anyone can guide me to do at least this.

BTW I don't even know how to fit a shelf :(

---------- Post added 04-12-2015 at 21:59 ----------

Hi

It's a V reg Focus and have a tool kit but have no idea how to use it..

No Jack though!!

I can show you how to put a shelf up. Where abouts in your car would you like to hang it?:huh:

---------- Post added 05-12-2015 at 10:09 ----------

Pity indeed.

I live in Crookes.

I would have really benefitted from that. When are you next going to do it?

We can trade skills, can teach you about backs and necks in exchange for car mechanics .:)

Google Area 51 and a half, (Crookes). Alcoblog lives there, and he is a world renowned master mechanic, (builds Copters n things).

Alternatively, you could wait til he logs onto here.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

I can show you how to put a shelf up. Where abouts in your car would you like to hang it?:huh:

---------- Post added 05-12-2015 at 10:09 ----------

Google Area 51 and a half, (Crookes). Alcoblog lives there, and he is a world renowned master mechanic, (builds Copters n things).

Alternatively, you could wait til he logs onto here.

Thanks .. I will send him a message :)

I've just found a PM from OP (been away at the weekend).

Thank you so very much Mr.McWoods for your sageful advice to aforementioned OP … hope all your shelves fall down. :rant::P

I think all the 'sh-elves' will be falling down at the office xmas party after a few sherrys, and me chasing them naked....with mistletoe.:gag: