Cooks Wood Road

leso1

• 8 years later...
On 06/12/2015 at 12:30, hillsbro said:

Could well be. I don't suppose that the construction of Cooks Wood Road, on land that might have belonged to Shirecliffe Hall, would in itself have affected the hall, but perhaps the building had structural problem and/or the temperance hotel business was struggling. Here is a comparison of Kelly's Directory entries for the relevant part of Shirecliffe Lane from the 1938 and 1942 editions.

I was rather intrigued by the name "Miss Phoebe Jukes". I could just imagine a non-nonsense, schoolmarm-type woman, a "leading light" of the local Temperance League. She was actually born in Staffordshire, and at the time of the 1911 census was a restaurateur in Sheffield. At this time Shirecliffe Hall was still a private residence, the home of Miss Alice Jane Watson, whose father John Watson had owned the hall for many years prior to his death in 1909 at the ripe old age of 99. By 1924 Phoebe Jukes was running the temperance hotel at Shirecliffe Hall - she is in the middle of this 1930 photo taken there. What became of her after the hotel closed I cannot say, but she died in Sheffield in 1966, aged 82.

@hillsbroHello. 

Do you still happen to have the 1930s photo of Phoebe Jukes at Shirecliffe Hall that you mention above?  I am a distant relative of hers and would love to see a photo of her!  

There is the corner large house at the junction of Shirecliffe Lane and Cookswood called Osborne house.

Maybe that was part of the hall, the later hall i mean.

It became a borstal for unruly Boys 

Edited by Cody's Granddad

22 hours ago, carohawk said:

@hillsbroHello. 

Do you still happen to have the 1930s photo of Phoebe Jukes at Shirecliffe Hall that you mention above?  I am a distant relative of hers and would love to see a photo of her!  

No, I'm afraid not!

On 05/12/2015 at 10:18, leso1 said:

Does anyone know when Cockswood Road became Cooks Wood Road? The 1938 and 1948 maps show it as Cockswood Road.

---------- Post added 05-12-2015 at 10:21 ----------

Also. when was Shirecliffe Hall demolished?

Shirecliffe Road used to be Cockshall Lane, the first Shirecliffe Hall was demolished prior 1855 it stood on what is now Shirecliffe playing field behind The OAKS ,the second hall stood opposite Shirecliffe Lane, Cook Wood is the part opposite Stanleys.

13 hours ago, hillsbro said:

No, I'm afraid not!

Ahh no worries! It was a long shot any way  as your original post is over 9 years old! Thank you for replying though - I do appreciate it!

• Like 1