What happens to people who can't afford their social housing?

The myth about Sky TV and buying cigarettes and booze is common whenever talking about benefits.

Some poor folks that prefer to spend their money on those, may well do without in other areas. I am thinking about getting a new mattress from Ikea, £90 ;)

• 4 weeks later...
But the council evicted them in the first place, for non payment, so I wonder how it can make sense to spend the cost of eviction which must be a lot, legal costs, staffing, void periods etc, and then put the family up in probably just as expensive if not more so emergency accommodation. I think it's wrong on all fronts. A family who can't afford social housing clearly needs help not evicting. I don't get it. It doesn't sit well. It's cruel.

I think shelter estimated the cost of an eviction added up to about £6000, a few years ago

I'm not sure that I do.

Why not? private rents are much in demand now and to have worked all your life and invested in property for your old age was a better bet than some pensions.To get a non paying tenant must be a nightmare for landlords.Not all landlords are rigsbys you know,some look after the tenants.

Why not? private rents are much in demand now and to have worked all your life and invested in property for your old age was a better bet than some pensions.To get a non paying tenant must be a nightmare for landlords.Not all landlords are rigsbys you know,some look after the tenants.

I have plenty of sympathy for people in a variety of circumstances. BTL Landlords are no more deserving of sympathy than others.

Yes to have a non paying tenant is unfortunate....but you didn't specify that in your post above.... you said:

You have to have some sympathy for the landlords who buy properties to rent out for a pension.

Well you could have been referring to the notorious Wilsons...

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/oct/31/millionaire-landlords-fergus-judith-wilson-evicting-families

For who I have no sympathy whatsoever. In fact I think they're greedy old bags.

Edited by Mister M