Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

I think you've possibly misunderstood the situation I was explaining.

A cyclist (with twin front lights) only needs a short length of road for it to look like a car that is further away.

I guess a lesson could be, then: be wary of assuming that twin lights are a car, far away, because they could be, instead, a bicycle, close by.

Given the increasing number of cyclists running twin front lights, that lesson could save lives.

I guess a lesson could be, then: be wary of assuming that twin lights are a car, far away, because they could be, instead, a bicycle, close by.

Given the increasing number of cyclists running twin front lights, that lesson could save lives.

While I agree that's one lesson to be learned, I think it would pay for us cyclists not to make ourselves look like something closely resembling a distant car.

There's plenty of ways to arrange your lights on a bike, what possible benefit would there be to having two identical lamps on the same horizontal axis, both facing forward at the same angle?

While I agree that's one lesson to be learned, I think it would pay for us cyclists not to make ourselves look like something closely resembling a distant car.

There's plenty of ways to arrange your lights on a bike, what possible benefit would there be to having two identical lamps on the same horizontal axis, both facing forward at the same angle?

Frankly, I'd think that it would take more effort to arrange that to be so, than for it to not be so.

I think you've possibly misunderstood the situation I was explaining.

A cyclist (with twin front lights) only needs a short length of road for it to look like a car that is further away.

Not at all, my point was that it would look like a car a considerable distance down the road, which unless the road was completely straight and flat you wouldn't actually be able to see them if it was a car.

I do agree that it gives merit to using a flashing light or at least a none-standard arrangement so its more obvious. So perhaps I should keep all three of my lights? Although I would keep at least two, which would mean they are one on top of the other, which should be harder to mistake for a car than side by side. ;)

Edited by AlexAtkin

Not at all, my point was that it would look like a car a considerable distance down the road, which unless the road was completely straight and flat you wouldn't actually be able to see them if it was a car.

There's plenty of roads that aren't completely straight or flat and you can still see cars in the distance.

Aside from this, it really doesn't matter how long or flat the road was, it only needs a short distance for the bike to look like it's a car in the distance.

I do agree that it gives merit to using a flashing light or at least a none-standard arrangement so its more obvious. So perhaps I should keep all three of my lights? Although I would keep at least two, which would mean they are one on top of the other, which should be harder to mistake for a car than side by side. ;)
That's a quite obvious solution, yes. Not sure it merits a wink emoticon though :huh:

There's also the cars with just one working headlight- they look like a motorcycle in the dark.

and a right pain they are when you drive on some of the back roads that are unlit round Rivelin Valley .

When did the police stop pulling drivers over for this offence?

It used to be "do you know you have a light out Sir and while your stopped could you just blow into this bag"

Perhaps we should do a straw poll to see how many people have actually suffered from this cycle/car confusion?

I can't say that I've ever seen it... The OP has, so that's 1 person!

It was the first time I've ever had it and it was rather extreme conditions.

---------- Post added 14-12-2015 at 10:26 ----------

and a right pain they are when you drive on some of the back roads that are unlit round Rivelin Valley .

When did the police stop pulling drivers over for this offence?

It used to be "do you know you have a light out Sir and while your stopped could you just blow into this bag"

They haven't stopped pulling drivers over for it.

Edited by RootsBooster