Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

A car with a single missing headlight is so far down whats important that they will look at it way after it failed it's MOT.

You can record it all you like they wont do anything about it.

It'll make it more likely that something will get done. All organisations take things more seriously if they know they're being recorded, due to the simple fact that it provides objective evidence that can be used in investigations and/or court cases.

Why do you think it's getting almost impossible to call an organisation without the recorded message informing you that the call will be recorded? You don't really think it's for 'quality control purposes', do you? :)

The police routinely dismiss offers to provide them with cam evidence of drivers using mobile phones while driving- one day, they'll end up in a court over it, and then they'll realise it's financially less damaging for them to actually do their actual job- which is enforcing the law, not deciding which laws they want to take seriously.

Just like local councils only took installing disabled access in council buildings seriously, once they started to get sued by disability advocacy organisations.

It'll make it more likely that something will get done. All organisations take things more seriously if they know they're being recorded, due to the simple fact that it provides objective evidence that can be used in investigations and/or court cases.

Why do you think it's getting almost impossible to call an organisation without the recorded message informing you that the call will be recorded? You don't really think it's for 'quality control purposes', do you? :)

The police routinely dismiss offers to provide them with cam evidence of drivers using mobile phones while driving- one day, they'll end up in a court over it, and then they'll realise it's financially less damaging for them to actually do their actual job- which is enforcing the law, not deciding which laws they want to take seriously.

Just like local councils only took installing disabled access in council buildings seriously, once they started to get sued by disability advocacy organisations.

I started the thread to give a little friendly advice to a small minority of cyclists that may be increasing risk to themselves in some situations.

In comparison you're complaining about something which there's already a law against, that police regularly stop drivers for.

What more do you want from society?

To be fair, the police are an investigation body, they don't really enforce.

They investigate (and what's to investigate with a video), then they pass the file onto the CPS, who decide whether to prosecute or not.

There is a legal principle called "de minims" you may want to consider reading up about...

It'll make it more likely ................and then they'll realise it's financially less damaging for them to actually do their actual job- which is enforcing the law, not deciding which laws they want to take seriously.

It's not all about money.

If it was the rich, and/or the media, would direct the Police and set their priorities.

.......................oh dear what have I said?

Perhaps it would be better to get back the the twin headlights and a simple measure taken by the person effected to look after their own safety.

A car with a headlight out should be reported or at least try to let the driver know if possible. A ton of metal that can't be seen is much more dangerous than a cyclist with too many lights or a bad beam. Don't people talk to each other anymore?

I think some of them are aware of it, judging by the number of cars I have seen lately with one non-operational headlight who drive around with their high beams on to make up for it.

I find it hurts my eyes, and makes it difficult to see when I am driving :(

It's not all about money.

If it was the rich, and/or the media, would direct the Police and set their priorities.

.......................oh dear what have I said?

Perhaps it would be better to get back the the twin headlights and a simple measure taken by the person effected to look after their own safety.

Flashing red pound shop lights all over the place. Stick them on everything you own!

Er or something lol

I started the thread to give a little friendly advice to a small minority of cyclists that may be increasing risk to themselves in some situations.

In comparison you're complaining about something which there's already a law against, that police regularly stop drivers for.

What more do you want from society?

I'm just giving a bit of advice to anyone who is furious about the fact that, when they report a crime, the police sometimes fob them off as it's not a priority, as in-

1. cars with illegal and inadequate lights

2. drivers on mobile phones, which, despite being so low a priority for the police, that they aren't even interested if you say you've got video evidence- despite the fact that drivers on mobile have been shown to cause deaths.

3. Not attending when your home is broken into

4. etc, etc

Getting incident numbers (even when the police don't offer them) and recording the phone calls, will make them take you more seriously, and, the fact that you've got evidence of exactly what they tell you, makes any future investigations and/or court cases, more likely to succeed.

If the officers know they are being recorded, then they also know that they are instantly more accountable for what they tell you- that knowledge can really alter their behaviour for the better.

If photographers hadn't stood up for their rights when police repeatedly lied (or genuinely didn't know the law) to them about the law concerning taking photographs in public, then they'd still be complying when an officer demanded they cease filming on the erroneous premise that it broke the law, when, in reality, it didn't.

I'm just giving a bit of advice to anyone who is furious about the fact that, when they report a crime, the police sometimes fob them off as it's not a priority, as in-

1. cars with illegal and inadequate lights

2. drivers on mobile phones, which, despite being so low a priority for the police, that they aren't even interested if you say you've got video evidence- despite the fact that drivers on mobile have been shown to cause deaths.

3. Not attending when your home is broken into

4. etc, etc

Getting incident numbers (even when the police don't offer them) and recording the phone calls, will make them take you more seriously, and, the fact that you've got evidence of exactly what they tell you, makes any future investigations and/or court cases, more likely to succeed.

If the officers know they are being recorded, then they also know that they are instantly more accountable for what they tell you- that knowledge can really alter their behaviour for the better.

If photographers hadn't stood up for their rights when police repeatedly lied (or genuinely didn't know the law) to them about the law concerning taking photographs in public, then they'd still be complying when an officer demanded they cease filming on the erroneous premise that it broke the law, when, in reality, it didn't.

...and that's relative to the thread, how?

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 07:41 ----------

It was bound to happen, 7 o'clock this morning just as I turned down City Rd from Manor Top there was a cyclist coming toward me with the almost mythical 'brighter than the sun a car's main beam' cycle lamp, flashing (most likely an off-road lamp).

I didn't quite have to pull up but I had to slow down as it completely flooded my field of vision.

In the unlikely event that the cyclist is reading this thread, do everyone and yourself a favour mate, just tilt it downward a bit.

Edited by RootsBooster

• 1 month later...
You don't have to be driving to see the flashing lights.
Oh, well in that case we should ban all flashing lights: indicators, traffic lights, emergency vehicle lights etc., and we must board-up all railings in case the low winter sunshine flashes through as you walk past them! Prison for all those who flash!