Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

I am sure the person has the ability to look away from the flashing lights.

Yes, because that's the easy way to avoid photoepilectic fits. Just look away. I don't know why nobody ever thought of it before!

Roots is correct, the maximum frequency for flashing bike lights is supposed to be 4Hz. It tends to be strobe lighting that triggers epilepsy.

It depends how often your fits are, medication can totally eliminate the fits for some people. One of my relatives has epilepsy, which is controlled by regular medication. I remember in the past they were not permitted to drive, but they are now allowed to.

It used to be if you hadn't had a fit for a year you could drive, in 2013 they tied up some lose ends. The new rules relating to whether people can drive if they have had a fit in the last year only if:

• They have only had seizures while they sleep
  • They have only had seizures that do not affect their consciousness
  • Their doctor changed their dosage or medication, but they have now gone back to the original dosage or medication.

Back to the original topic, I don't see how twin lights can be mistaken for a car when they will be far closer together.

I have three lights, two on the handlebars and one on the front stem as it came pre-fitted.

Only one faces forwards, the others are dipped so I can see obstructions in the road. I will probably go back to one once all the new LED street lights are in as you can finally clearly see the condition of the pavement at night.

As for flashing, I have experienced at least one higher frequency light make me dizzy.

I have never seen someone with one on and one flashing, only people with just a single one flashing which I find hugely distracting.

Back to the original topic, I don't see how twin lights can be mistaken for a car when they will be far closer together.

They didn't just look like a car, they looked like a car that was further away, because they were closer together. It's a matter of perspective.

A car in the distance will look like two smaller lights close together, as will a dual-lamped bike that is nearer to you.

As for flashing, I have experienced at least one higher frequency light make me dizzy.

I have never seen someone with one on and one flashing, only people with just a single one flashing which I find hugely distracting.

I see plenty of cyclists with one constant and one flashing.

It must have been a pretty unique situation because roads aren't usually straight for long enough to give an illusion like that. I certainly don't think any of the roads I cycle on are, so shouldn't be a problem.

Although I rarely cycle in the dark anyway as that is primarily winter when the cold sets off my Asthma.

I'm not denying that you have seen plenty of people, I don't cycle at night that much to see. But I DO find flashing distracting, at least when there is only one. Probably less so now the new street lighting more closely matches the cycle light colour.

It must have been a pretty unique situation because roads aren't usually straight for long enough to give an illusion like that. I certainly don't think any of the roads I cycle on are, so shouldn't be a problem.

I think you've possibly misunderstood the situation I was explaining.

A cyclist (with twin front lights) only needs a short length of road for it to look like a car that is further away.