Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

Those helmet lights should be banned especially those really bright ones, they are really dangerous to other road users !

I was recently driving along the road, when a cyclist came towards me & he directed his helmet light directly in to my eyes, which had the effect of temporary blindness & i had to pull over for a minute or so to get my sight back !

Time for urgent legislation to ban these stupid helmet lights !

In the unlikely event that the cyclist is reading this thread, do everyone and yourself a favour mate, just tilt it downward a bit.

I can just see it - car pulls out on cyclist, cyclist is injured and the driver's defence is "well you've got lights mate, why not tilt it up a bit so we can see it"

Those helmet lights should be banned especially those really bright ones, they are really dangerous to other road users !

I was recently driving along the road, when a cyclist came towards me & he directed his helmet light directly in to my eyes, which had the effect of temporary blindness & i had to pull over for a minute or so to get my sight back !

totally agree especially the stupid bright flashing ones, wont be long before it causes someone to have an epileptic fit i shouldn't wonder:roll: its no wonder car drivers get aggressive to stupid cyclists with these unnecessary lamps.

next time one comes up behind me i may panic brake!!!!! temporarily blinded officer:hihi:

totally agree especially the stupid bright flashing ones, wont be long before it causes someone to have an epileptic fit i shouldn't wonder:roll: its no wonder car drivers get aggressive to stupid cyclists with these unnecessary lamps.

next time one comes up behind me i may panic brake!!!!! temporarily blinded officer:hihi:

Is this some sort of special epilepsy that is only effected by cyclist lights? Maybe you should tell us more about your "discovery".

I can just see it - car pulls out on cyclist, cyclist is injured and the driver's defence is "well you've got lights mate, why not tilt it up a bit so we can see it"

Are you suggesting that if a cyclist tilts their off-road, wide beam light downward slightly, that motorists would no longer be able to see them? :suspect:

---------- Post added 18-01-2016 at 09:50 ----------

How long did the cyclist direct their beam into your eyes? Long enough that he wouldn't be able to see where he/she was going because they spent too long looking at you?

---------- Post added 18-01-2016 at 09:50 ----------

Cycle lights that meet regulations fall beneath the hertz rate that triggers most epileptic seizures. Some people may be affected but it will be an extremely small minority.

Are you suggesting that if a cyclist tilts their off-road, wide beam light downward slightly, that motorists would no longer be able to see them? :suspect:

yeah, possibly.

I'm not saying that definitely would always be the case, but when you are riding, its usually not possible to know what other road users see. So as a cyclist, if I point my light horizontally, I don't know whether that's definitely blinding others or not. If I dip, to be sure, by how much do I dip? Will my presence be lost.

you have to remember, that unless you are getting dedicated off-road style powerful lights, you don't see a beam as such to know how high you are pointing.

Plus, like I said previously, the anti-cycling motorist brigade will moan about being blinded and if the cyclist dips, will use the fact that he's not prominently lit against him on another day

yeah, possibly.

I'm not saying that definitely would always be the case, but when you are riding, its usually not possible to know what other road users see. So as a cyclist, if I point my light horizontally, I don't know whether that's definitely blinding others or not. If I dip, to be sure, by how much do I dip? Will my presence be lost.

you have to remember, that unless you are getting dedicated off-road style powerful lights, you don't see a beam as such to know how high you are pointing.

Plus, like I said previously, the anti-cycling motorist brigade will moan about being blinded and if the cyclist dips, will use the fact that he's not prominently lit against him on another day

You know, if you really want to be a responsible cyclist (improving our reputation and reducing risk of accident to yourself and others) you could always stand your bike up and walk a few feet away then see if the light is glaring, if so then just angle it down a little and check again, to make sure it's still visible.

That's what I do, it takes less than a minute..

You know, if you really want to be a responsible cyclist (improving our reputation and reducing risk of accident to yourself and others) you could always stand your bike up and walk a few feet away then see if the light is glaring, if so then just angle it down a little and check again, to make sure it's still visible.

That's what I do, it takes less than a minute..

Ah well, obviously I'm not such a clever boy as you.

If I ride on a country road, I prefer to have it quite far down to see potholes etc. If I ride in town I have it a bit higher, as streetlighting shows me the holes and the emphasis on being seen. Those few "less than a minute" occasions become annoying to me everytime I move from one environment to another, but that's me, I lack that something that takes me to your esteemed level. Plus I'm someone that tends to run my life on reasonable actions and common sense .... with that there are imperfections, but life is too short to spend time getting it perfect.

Plus I've also noticed that those blinding cycle lights tend to blind me when they are 200 metres in front. If you see them blinding you just a few feet in front, then within a second the same cyclist will be on your car bonnet. So that walk of a few feet to check if they are ok really needs to be a couple of hundred metres. But then you knew that and no doubt already do that every time you ride, as you are a responsible cyclist.

I've done my arguing with you on this subject on this thread. You need to try harder with less attitude if you want a further response.

Ah well, obviously I'm not such a clever boy as you.

If I ride on a country road, I prefer to have it quite far down to see potholes etc. If I ride in town I have it a bit higher, as streetlighting shows me the holes and the emphasis on being seen. Those few "less than a minute" occasions become annoying to me everytime I move from one environment to another, but that's me, I lack that something that takes me to your esteemed level. Plus I'm someone that tends to run my life on reasonable actions and common sense .... with that there are imperfections, but life is too short to spend time getting it perfect.

I too ride on country roads/offrod and then onto main roads, I can usually see where my light is shining (what with light projecting forward and illuminating the area it's pointing at). I don't actually have to get off and check my lights any more, I'm familiar with the two different positions it (the main one) needs to be tilted at for different conditions. It really is quick and easy to do, doesn't have to be 'perfect'.

Plus I've also noticed that those blinding cycle lights tend to blind me when they are 200 metres in front. If you see them blinding you just a few feet in front, then within a second the same cyclist will be on your car bonnet. So that walk of a few feet to check if they are ok really needs to be a couple of hundred metres. But then you knew that and no doubt already do that every time you ride, as you are a responsible cyclist.

By a few feet I meant somewhere in the range of 10 - 20.

You don't think it's more dangerous to blind a vehicle that's close to you than one that's further away?

I've done my arguing with you on this subject on this thread. You need to try harder with less attitude if you want a further response.

'attitude' being....?

ADDED:

shows the kind of dazzle I was met with on City Rd. Edited by RootsBooster

'attitude' being....?

Disagreeing with him... that's probably the attitude...

There's a cyclist here that appears to be engaging in lamp warfare with car drivers. Anyone comes up that has HID lamps, he shines a full beam right in their face from the helmet lamp he has.

He managed to annoy the wrong person last night and they apparantly had a punch up at the traffic lights if the news in the pub is accurate. Not sure who lost the most on that one...