Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

Disagreeing with him... that's probably the attitude...

There's a cyclist here that appears to be engaging in lamp warfare with car drivers. Anyone comes up that has HID lamps, he shines a full beam right in their face from the helmet lamp he has.

He managed to annoy the wrong person last night and they apparantly had a punch up at the traffic lights if the news in the pub is accurate. Not sure who lost the most on that one...

I wonder if that's Shand1's adversary :suspect:

I too ride on country roads/offrod and then onto main roads, I can usually see where my light is shining (what with light projecting forward and illuminating the area it's pointing at). I don't actually have to get off and check my lights any more, I'm familiar with the two different positions it (the main one) needs to be tilted at for different conditions. It really is quick and easy to do, doesn't have to be 'perfect'.

By a few feet I meant somewhere in the range of 10 - 20.

You don't think it's more dangerous to blind a vehicle that's close to you than one that's further away?

'attitude' being....?

ADDED:

shows the kind of dazzle I was met with on City Rd.

If you watch that video the one that is supposed to be "too bright" appears to be about equal brightness to the car sat right next to it when they're stationary.

All it really demonstrates is lens flare in the cheap camera.

---------- Post added 18-01-2016 at 16:49 ----------

You know, if you really want to be a responsible cyclist (improving our reputation and reducing risk of accident to yourself and others) you could always stand your bike up and walk a few feet away then see if the light is glaring, if so then just angle it down a little and check again, to make sure it's still visible.

That's what I do, it takes less than a minute..

Given the shape of lights, it's trivial to judge it anyway. And you can also tell just by looking ahead whether it's illuminating the road or cars or the sky.

What you'll find is that the dispersion is sufficient anyway that you can angle the main beam to be 20m ahead on the road, and the splash will still make you very visible to cars.

If you watch that video the one that is supposed to be "too bright" appears to be about equal brightness to the car sat right next to it when they're stationary.

All it really demonstrates is lens flare in the cheap camera.

Although the quality of the video is inconsistent, if you skip to 3:35 the bike light's glare dwarfs that of the car lights right next to it. That's the kind of glare I got on City Rd.

Is this some sort of special epilepsy that is only effected by cyclist lights? Maybe you should tell us more about your "discovery".

ah so you are an expert eh?? on epilepsy?? apparently flash bulbs on tv cause it according to the BBC warnings?? you do know epilepsy can be brought on by a flickering candle?? if its the case any flashing or flickering light causes it then they should be banned along with arrogant cyclists!

ah so you are an expert eh?? on epilepsy?? apparently flash bulbs on tv cause it according to the BBC warnings?? you do know epilepsy can be brought on by a flickering candle?? if its the case any flashing or flickering light causes it then they should be banned along with arrogant cyclists!

Really, do you believe that any flashing lights should be banned?

i believe flashing white lights on cycles should be? i guarantee if i fitted bright flashing lights to the car plod would pull me sharpish:roll:

That's because the law is very specific about what light it allows and what it doesn't, the law was changed around 10 years ago to allow just flashing lights on the front of cycles. That's why plod would pull you over if you fitted cycle lights on your car, it's not personal.

So what do you believe makes a cycle's flashing lights so dangerous to epileptics, and other flashing lights less of a hazard?

Edited by JFKvsNixon

That's because the law is very specific about what light it allows and what it doesn't, the law was changed around 10 years ago to allow just flashing lights on the front of cycles. That's why plod would pull you over if you fitted cycle lights on your car, it's not personal.

So what do you believe makes a cycle's flashing lights so dangerous to epileptics, and other flashing lights less of a hazard?

the height of cycle lights are pretty much in a drivers mirror view and these latest bright LEDs are way too bright

the height of cycle lights are pretty much in a drivers mirror view and these latest bright LEDs are way too bright

The different lights come with different brightnesses, so a blanket ban because of them being too bright isn't really appropriate.

So do you believe that it's the height of the lights that make the make them dangerous to epileptics then? How does that make them more dangerous than other flashing lights?

i believe flashing white lights on cycles should be?

Is that a question or a statement? :suspect:

I've already explained that road-legal (ie British standard) lights work outside the range which triggers epileptic seizures (apart from for a few extremely rare sufferers)

---------- Post added 18-01-2016 at 21:07 ----------

it's nothing to do with the height, its how they're angled that will have any effect.