Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

If it's any consolation RootsBooster, I'm a lot more conscious of the position of my light thanks to this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the frothing "Cyclists are dangerous" mob, it's very rare there's a cycle-light situation that poses any more threat than other lighting on and around the roads.

One of my work colleagues got told to turn her bike light off, but she kind of needed it to prevent falling in the canal on the pitch black tow path. She had a few choice words for him :hihi:

Told to turn it off by who? If she was using it to see the tow path it shouldn't really affect anyone of normal height.

Disagreeing with him... that's probably the attitude...

I thought attitude was inappropriate cos it came over very much as "do as I do, else you aren't a responsible cyclist"

In other words, there was a kind of emotional blackmail attached

Akin to 2 kids in the playground "do such and such, else you're a scaredy cat and therefore weak, not like me"

It didn't need that, the advice could have been offered without the assertion of implying I was irresponsible

ah ... I feel better now

i believe flashing white lights on cycles should be? i guarantee if i fitted bright flashing lights to the car plod would pull me sharpish:roll:

If I ride a bike on the motorway I'll get pulled over.

Different laws you see.

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 08:50 ----------

ah so you are an expert eh?? on epilepsy?? apparently flash bulbs on tv cause it according to the BBC warnings?? you do know epilepsy can be brought on by a flickering candle?? if its the case any flashing or flickering light causes it then they should be banned along with arrogant cyclists!

If only stupid people could be banned. :D

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 08:51 ----------

Although the quality of the video is inconsistent, if you skip to 3:35 the bike light's glare dwarfs that of the car lights right next to it. That's the kind of glare I got on City Rd.

If you skip to 2:36 you can see the same massive glare from a car light directly behind the camera and that same bike light, slightly off to the side doesn't appear to be all that bright.

I thought attitude was inappropriate cos it came over very much as "do as I do, else you aren't a responsible cyclist"

In other words, there was a kind of emotional blackmail attached

Akin to 2 kids in the playground "do such and such, else you're a scaredy cat and therefore weak, not like me"

It didn't need that, the advice could have been offered without the assertion of implying I was irresponsible

ah ... I feel better now

I was implying that you were being silly, talking as though it was difficult to angle your lights in a way that didn't blind people but was still visible.

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 09:08 ----------

If you skip to 2:36 you can see the same massive glare from a car light directly behind the camera and that same bike light, slightly off to the side doesn't appear to be all that bright.

I know, what I'm saying is that how the glare looks at 3:35 is how the glare looked in real life on city road (referring to post #139).

Told to turn it off by who? If she was using it to see the tow path it shouldn't really affect anyone of normal height.

Someone who was rather stupid, I assume, who doesn't think you need light to see :loopy:

I'd personally rather suffer a bright light for a few seconds than have a cyclist run into me in the dark.

When I'm cycling I carry the brightest strobing lights I can get-especially when i'm cycling on the road that goes from Dore to Hathersage .

Now this isn't a joke. If in some way the: lights , luminous intensity of lights and display of lights, carried by cyclists-at night on a public road-could be standardised .Then identification and direction of travel of the cyclist could be made accurately. For instance , ships at night carry standardised navigation lights : fore and aft ,port and starboard . Positioned so the: aspect , direction and size of the vessel can be made -in the most appalling conditions at night. If cyclist carried lights which were of a standard type and displayed in a particular unmistakable pattern. I'm sure identification and avoidance of a collision could be achieved.

From personal experience. Driving my car on the road from Dore to Hathersage in poor conditions;the cyclist without ultra luminous intensity lights is extremely difficult to see .

Edited by petemcewan