Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

posted before but worth another read.

Or eyes have yet to become evolved for the relatively new skill of driving says John Sullivan. He is a Royal Air Force pilot with over 4,000 flight hours in his career, and a keen cyclist and a crash investigator.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

Recognise the risk of being in a saccade. High contrast clothing and lights help. In particular, flashing LED’s (front and rear) are especially effective for cyclists as they create contrast and the on-off flashing attracts the peripheral vision in the same manner that movement does. There’s nothing wrong with leaving these on during the day. (Especially if they are rechargeable)

What I don't get is cyclists who have those flashy lights on in a strictly no car zone.

For example, I witnessed a cyclist with his static and flashy light on in those underpasses in between town and Waitrose. There was no need for him to have them on (at 9 in the morning as well when it was clearly no longer dark) and dazzle pedestrians. I understand if he was going to go onto the road, but it wasn't dark anymore and he was coming from the direction of the cycle paths and so not on the road!! On the road is fine to me, especially is a low lit area, but in a pedestrian area when it isn't dark is just plain stupid. He definitely spotted the dirty look I gave him.

So he should turn his lights off whenever he leaves the road? Because it's obviously unimportant to light dim areas and for pedestrians to notice the bike because of the lights! :confused:

If it's not dark, then they won't dazzle anyone will they. I fail to see how having lights on becomes stupid just because you're not on the road.

---------- Post added 07-12-2015 at 13:11 ----------

I'm pretty sure myself and my ilk won't lose a great deal of sleep over it, mate.

It's you that's annoyed by the crazy lights though.

They are clearly dazzling when they obnoxiously flashy. Understandable if he's on the road as I said, but not when he's off. You can't say they don't dazzle pedestrians because they did me this morning :loopy:

You can clearly tell the cyclists from the none on this thread :hihi::hihi:

So he should turn his lights off whenever he leaves the road? Because it's obviously unimportant to light dim areas and for pedestrians to notice the bike because of the lights! :confused:

If it's not dark, then they won't dazzle anyone will they. I fail to see how having lights on becomes stupid just because you're not on the road.

---------- Post added 07-12-2015 at 13:11 ----------

It's you that's annoyed by the crazy lights though.

I recall seeing a cyclist with a large flashing front light riding on a lit road. He then turned off onto an unlit dark road but didn't bother to switch to a permanent beam. It struck me as odd, as its harder to see ahead if using a flashing light.

I see the fixed light as something to see with, and the flashing light to ensure you are seen - especially good on lit city streets at night, even more so when its raining, as there are so many small lights and reflections for the brain to register. A flashing white or red light shouts "cyclist" as other sources of light rarely create the same effect. Also good in these conditions are pedal reflectors, due to the up and down motion when viewed from behind. Nothing else gives the same effect.

They are clearly dazzling when they obnoxiously flashy. Understandable if he's on the road as I said, but not when he's off. You can't say they don't dazzle pedestrians because they did me this morning :loopy:

You can clearly tell the cyclists from the none on this thread :hihi::hihi:

Don't you think a cyclist should be as visible as possible to pedestrians too, especially when using communial areas?

It seems a case of not being able to do the right thing whatever the situation.

There's a reason that motor vehicles fail their MOT,s when they have wrong beam alignments on the headlights. It's because faulty or wobbly beams can blind other road users. These rules obviously does not apply to cyclists. Their ridiculous lights constantly wobble as the cyclist is wobbling along, causing awful beams into other road users faces.

Have you actually got any examples of road users being blinded by cycle lights? Or even dazzled to the extent that it resulted in an actual accident?

Don't you think a cyclist should be as visible as possible to pedestrians too, especially when using communial areas?

It seems a case of not being able to do the right thing whatever the situation.

I do, but that's the reason for the bike lane and the pedestrian lane. And I think for those sort of places where there are corners and such, their bells work a lot better than lights IMO. I always look behind me for a cyclist but I don't see their lights behind me if I'm walking, but I'll hear their bell.

I do, but that's the reason for the bike lane and the pedestrian lane. And I think for those sort of places where there are corners and such, their bells work a lot better than lights IMO. I always look behind me for a cyclist but I don't see their lights behind me if I'm walking, but I'll hear their bell.

So do you think that cyclists should be constantly ringing their bells when they are cycling on shared paths? Because I'm presuming that as you are walking you neither have lights nor are ringing a bell; so seeing as pedestrians probably won't be making an effort to be seen, then I guess that the onus is on the cyclist to make sure that they are seen. Given that - and that you are unable to see the cyclists lights cast beyond you, then maybe they should be using even brighter lights and dipping them even less?

---------- Post added 07-12-2015 at 16:32 ----------

I do, but that's the reason for the bike lane and the pedestrian lane.

When all pedestrians understand the reason for separate bike lanes and pedestrian lanes then journeys will be much easier and safer for everyone. Until then, cyclists will no doubt continue to have to avoid pedestrians in cycle lanes or pedestrians who suddenly step into cycle lanes.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make now. You agree that cyclist should be visible and also warn you when you can't see them. Yet you give them a 'dirty look' when they do that?