Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

Personal I haven't seen many people using this method but its good to hear some do.

i do this. Visibility is important but I think the brightness of modern lights means they can be a hazard for other road users (including other cyclists). Its about time someone invented a dipped headlight for bikes.

I agree with OP's point that twin headlights is not the way to go. Unless they're so close together to appear as one light.

i do this. Visibility is important but I think the brightness of modern lights means they can be a hazard for other road users (including other cyclists). Its about time someone invented a dipped headlight for bikes.

I agree with OP's point that twin headlights is not the way to go. Unless they're so close together to appear as one light.

They banned them on motorcycles at some point if it has 2 separate lights one has to be dip and one beam as it confused drivers

Don't most of the high end cycle lights come with multiple modes, including a lower power one?

I know my off road mountain biking light has at least 4 modes, flash, low, high and SOS.

They already exist, you just tilt it forward to point down slightly.

Of course the bike lane is no guarantee that there won't be pedestrians in it.

If they're behind you, you probably won't be dazzled, if their approaching you, you'll see the light.

There isn't and I think that's the fault of the pedestrians who can clearly see the bike lane and the pedestrian lane. In all honesty I just don't understand what people don't stay in their lanes, it ensures safety for all.

My original point was a bright HD light in the day that flashes, can be dazzling and was, hence not understanding why it was used.

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 11:12 ----------

So do you think that cyclists should be constantly ringing their bells when they are cycling on shared paths? Because I'm presuming that as you are walking you neither have lights nor are ringing a bell; so seeing as pedestrians probably won't be making an effort to be seen, then I guess that the onus is on the cyclist to make sure that they are seen. Given that - and that you are unable to see the cyclists lights cast beyond you, then maybe they should be using even brighter lights and dipping them even less?

---------- Post added 07-12-2015 at 16:32 ----------

When all pedestrians understand the reason for separate bike lanes and pedestrian lanes then journeys will be much easier and safer for everyone. Until then, cyclists will no doubt continue to have to avoid pedestrians in cycle lanes or pedestrians who suddenly step into cycle lanes.

What is the point of cyclists having bells if not to make their presence known? Cyclists generally ring their bells when going round corners, which is what my original point was. I'm sure that people, whether it be cyclists or pedestrians, are at great risk of being knocked over by a bike than by person on person. Cyclists go a lot faster than pedestrians and so making themselves known will make sure there are no collisions.

Agree with you point about people using their lanes, but doubt that will change.

Cyclists generally ring their bells when going round corners, which is what my original point was. .
only a poor cyclist would do this. The more experienced ones are covering their brakes, just in case .... and just in case could mean mud, pothole, dog, toddler, you name it.

I would be very wary of tinkering a bell and not being ready to brake.

In all seriousness, and not wanting to be offensive, I feel you are a non-cyclist telling cyclists how it should be done.

only a poor cyclist would do this. The more experienced ones are covering their brakes, just in case .... and just in case could mean mud, pothole, dog, toddler, you name it.

I would be very wary of tinkering a bell and not being ready to brake.

In all seriousness, and not wanting to be offensive, I feel you are a non-cyclist telling cyclists how it should be done.

Why does that make them poor? Because they're making other people aware. There could be a jogger, pedestrian or cyclist coming round the corner at speed and a bell makes them aware.

I'm a pedestrian voicing my opinions on cyclists as a pedestrian, I'm not demanding that you do anything. If I hear a cyclist coming or ringing their bell I will wait until they pass, but others might not do the same. Bells are a great way, IMO, to help pedestrians and cyclists stay safe, especially when there are pedestrians with headphones in or looking at their phone.

There isn't and I think that's the fault of the pedestrians who can clearly see the bike lane and the pedestrian lane. In all honesty I just don't understand what people don't stay in their lanes, it ensures safety for all.

My original point was a bright HD light in the day that flashes, can be dazzling and was, hence not understanding why it was used.

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 11:12 ----------

What is the point of cyclists having bells if not to make their presence known? Cyclists generally ring their bells when going round corners, which is what my original point was. I'm sure that people, whether it be cyclists or pedestrians, are at great risk of being knocked over by a bike than by person on person. Cyclists go a lot faster than pedestrians and so making themselves known will make sure there are no collisions.

Agree with you point about people using their lanes, but doubt that will change.

:loopy: I've never seen a cyclist do this.

I just proceed with caution if I can't see what's around the corner or if I am passing someone and I'm not certain they have seen me. Pedestrians have an annoying habit of randomly changing course instead of walking in a straight line, so I'm always careful.

:loopy: I've never seen a cyclist do this.

I just proceed with caution if I can't see what's around the corner or if I am passing someone and I'm not certain they have seen me. Pedestrians have an annoying habit of randomly changing course instead of walking in a straight line, so I'm always careful.

I've noticed that most don't even react to the sound of a bicycle bell.

Why does that make them poor? Because they're making other people aware. There could be a jogger, pedestrian or cyclist coming round the corner at speed and a bell makes them aware.

I'm a pedestrian voicing my opinions on cyclists as a pedestrian, I'm not demanding that you do anything. If I hear a cyclist coming or ringing their bell I will wait until they pass, but others might not do the same. Bells are a great way, IMO, to help pedestrians and cyclists stay safe, especially when there are pedestrians with headphones in or looking at their phone.

I have no problem with cyclists using bells, in fact I sometimes do. But the particularly hazardous situations I encounter are generally not when I approach a blind corner, where I know that I have no idea what is coming round the corner, and similarly to hyper's advice I will approach slowly, ready to brake if required; the really hazardous situation is when I am cycling along a cycle lane and a pedestrian suddenly decides to step across onto it, or when I'm cycling on the road and a pedestrian steps into it without looking. Ringing my bell at every point where I pass a pedestrian is ludicrous, and as hyper said, would make braking and/or steering to avoid them harder.

Added to this, relying on pedestrians hearing a bell is rather naive when it's fairly likely that they're listening to music.