Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

I've known plenty to react, with a mouthful of abuse. .. but I've given up using that bike route round the back of Meadowhall now

Yes, the ones that do react tend to do so at the last minute and then look at you as though you've snuck up on them (in my experience).

Why does that make them poor? Because they're making other people aware. There could be a jogger, pedestrian or cyclist coming round the corner at speed and a bell makes them aware.

I'm a pedestrian voicing my opinions on cyclists as a pedestrian, I'm not demanding that you do anything. If I hear a cyclist coming or ringing their bell I will wait until they pass, but others might not do the same. Bells are a great way, IMO, to help pedestrians and cyclists stay safe, especially when there are pedestrians with headphones in or looking at their phone.

As others have said, they need their hands on the brakes not on a bell as they're going around corners.

I'll buy an AirZound then. You'll know I'm there when you're jay walking. also, you'll have been warned, so no cause for complaint.

http://www.airzound.co.uk/

Jaywalking? Which country do you live in?

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 13:40 ----------

Added to this, relying on pedestrians hearing a bell is rather naive when it's fairly likely that they're listening to music.

There's a similar problem with some cyclists. I've seen a fair few riding around with earbuds or even huge headphones on, it's crackers.

There's a similar problem with some cyclists. I've seen a fair few riding around with earbuds or even huge headphones on, it's crackers.

I never suggested that it was a problem for pedestrians to listen to music, merely that cyclists shouldn't rely on pedestrians being able to hear them.

Similarly, cyclists wearing earbuds isn't in itself a problem; where it affects their awareness of the road then it is. Huge noise-cancelling headphones would do though.

I never suggested that it was a problem for pedestrians to listen to music, merely that cyclists shouldn't rely on pedestrians being able to hear them.

Neither did I, I said it's a problem with some cyclists, it's similar to pedestrians doing it though.

Similarly, cyclists wearing earbuds isn't in itself a problem; where it affects their awareness of the road then it is. Huge noise-cancelling headphones would do though.

You do realise that the vast majority of in-ear buds are noise cancelling, right?

Neither did I, I said it's a problem with some cyclists, it's similar to pedestrians doing it though.

You do realise that the vast majority of in-ear buds are noise cancelling, right?

I thought that noise cancelling headphones/earphones monitored ambient sounds, and then actively blocked those sounds as opposed to using soundproofing to block outside noises?

I thought that noise cancelling headphones/earphones monitored ambient sounds, and then actively blocked those sounds as opposed to using soundproofing to block outside noises?

That would be active noise cancelling (as far as I'm aware).

Passive noise cancelling relies simply on a barrier seal or other insulation, ie, silicone seated in-ear buds, just like the silicone ear plugs you can wear in industry to block noise out.

I wouldn't fancy wearing them on the road either.

Edited by RootsBooster

That would be active noise cancelling (as far as I'm aware).

I always understood noise cancelling headphone to be active ones, but I have to say I'm not expert so I could easily be wrong. I've given up spending big amounts of money on earphones after breaking so many of them.