Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

I always understood noise cancelling headphone to be active ones, but I have to say I'm not expert so I could easily be wrong. I've given up spending big amounts of money on earphones after breaking so many of them.

Edited last post as you were writing this.

(me too, I buy £10 Skullcandys from TK Maxx now, they block out all noise at work)

I must admit that I do listen to either audiobooks or podcasts on my cycle commute, but I only have one ear bud in. Although I can't listen to music as I find to too distracting, I still think that I have situational arenas around me. On a recreational cycle through the Peaks, I'll not ride with any in because the sounds of the country side is all part of the pleasure of cycling.

I do find the constant background hum of traffic annoying when commuting through rush hour.

Edited last post as you were writing this.

(me too, I buy £10 Skullcandys from TK Maxx now, they block out all noise at work)

I have skull candy ear buds, and I find I can still hear the road. I also have a pair of Bluetooth earbuds which I like, much easier without headphone wires and I can keep my phone safe and dry in my bag :)

If you are cycling safely and with consideration for others, I don't see why you can't listen to music, as long as your music isn't so loud as to block out emergency sirens.

posted before but worth another read.

Or eyes have yet to become evolved for the relatively new skill of driving says John Sullivan. He is a Royal Air Force pilot with over 4,000 flight hours in his career, and a keen cyclist and a crash investigator.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

Recognise the risk of being in a saccade. High contrast clothing and lights help. In particular, flashing LED’s (front and rear) are especially effective for cyclists as they create contrast and the on-off flashing attracts the peripheral vision in the same manner that movement does. There’s nothing wrong with leaving these on during the day. (Especially if they are rechargeable)

This is an excellent read, and is what I use to explain to anyone who tells me flashing cycle lights are annoying. I use low-powered flashing lights with high powered steady lights, so I can see where I'm going and be seen, with the flashing making me more noticeable...

I find car headlights more dazzling and off putting, particularly the badly adjusted ones where there's one headlight pointing up and one down, or those silly round bright white ones that joggle up and down with the bumps in the road (I'm not technical so don't know what they're called!), or (as previously mentioned) the 4x4's with lights right at eye level for everyone else.

As for the comment about flashing lights causing epileptic fits, you can't drive if you have photosensitive epilepsy...

I have skull candy ear buds, and I find I can still hear the road. I also have a pair of Bluetooth earbuds which I like, much easier without headphone wires and I can keep my phone safe and dry in my bag :)

Which type are they more like, this or this?

If it's the latter I'd be very surprised if you can still hear traffic approaching you with audio playing in both ears. As an experiment while walking the dog earlier, I put mine in (no music playing) and couldn't hear most cars approaching and passing me.

If you are cycling safely and with consideration for others, I don't see why you can't listen to music, as long as your music isn't so loud as to block out emergency sirens.

There's more than just sirens to listen out for, most modern cars are fairly quiet on flat roads or downhill.

Which type are they more like, this or this?

If it's the latter I'd be very surprised if you can still hear traffic approaching you with audio playing in both ears. As an experiment while walking the dog earlier, I put mine in (no music playing) and couldn't hear most cars approaching and passing me.

There's more than just sirens to listen out for, most modern cars are fairly quiet on flat roads or downhill.

I have the latter version of the Skull Candys. I can still hear the faint buzz of cars approaching, and identify buses and large diesel vehicles. I keep my music at a moderate level so I can still hear the road.

I personally don't think wearing headphones will make a big difference to my safety. All cars sound the same when approaching whether they are going to give me a wide berth or pass far too close, there is no way of telling which they will do until it is too late.

People who are deaf are permitted to drive, and people often play loud music within their cars (myself included :hihi: )

Edited by Isabelle

I have the latter version of the Skull Candys. I can still hear the faint buzz of cars approaching, and identify buses and large diesel vehicles. I keep my music at a moderate level so I can still hear the road.

I personally don't think wearing headphones will make a big difference to my safety. All cars sound the same when approaching whether they are going to give me a wide berth or pass far too close, there is no way of telling which they will do until it is too late.

People who are deaf are permitted to drive, and people often play loud music within their cars (myself included :hihi: )

I'm afraid you're wrong, all cars do not sound the same. Some cars almost run silently unless accelerating up inclines while others sound like a tractor when stood still.