Cycling with twin headlights, something to consider..

Neither did I, I said it's a problem with some cyclists, it's similar to pedestrians doing it though.

You said it was "a similar problem", which, if you were referring to a non-problem, would be a category error. It's more likely though, that you were saying that pedestrians doing it was a problem.

There's more than just sirens to listen out for, most modern cars are fairly quiet on flat roads or downhill.

I find with one ear bud in listening to audiobooks/podcasts that I find the wind rushing past my ears the I'm going down hill more restrictive on my hearing than the audiobook/podcasts.

I did try ear bone headphones that left my ears exposed, but I found them to be rubbish and the couple of pairs that I had broke really quickly, so I gave up on them.

In a car I'm not often overtaken and if I am the main risk of someone being too close is a damaged wing mirror or some paint loss.

Up to you of course, but I wouldn't use earphones any more than I'd cycle blindfolded or with one arm in a sling.

You said it was "a similar problem", which, if you were referring to a non-problem, would be a category error. It's more likely though, that you were saying that pedestrians doing it was a problem.

I was saying it's a problem, the 'similar' meaning that it has similar characteristics to your example of pedestrians doing it (but it's not a problem with pedestrians, as far as I'm concerned).

In a car I'm not often overtaken and if I am the main risk of someone being too close is a damaged wing mirror or some paint loss.

Up to you of course, but I wouldn't use earphones any more than I'd cycle blindfolded or with one arm in a sling.

If I put the ear bud on the curb side ear I can hear traffic fine, I've yet to be surprised by a car overtaking me.

1 ear doesn't sound entirely unreasonable. I still wouldn't do it myself though.

I can't listen to music as I find it too distracting though, I'm fine with audiobooks/podcasts as they become part of the back ground noise.

On a recreational cycle climbing the hill through the Peaks, I'll not ride with any in because the sounds of the country side is all part of the pleasure of cycling. Maybe it's due to finding the constant background hum of traffic annoying when commuting through rush hour?

I can't listen to music as I find it too distracting though, I'm fine with audiobooks/podcasts as they become part of the back ground noise.

On a recreational cycle climbing the hill through the Peaks, I'll not ride with any in because the sounds of the country side is all part of the pleasure of cycling. Maybe it's due to finding the constant background hum of traffic annoying when commuting through rush hour?

If it's solely for audiobooks, you might want to do away with it altogether and get one of these :D