Britain should no longer be a Christian country.

I was just asking for your opinion. I'm not asking you to judge anyone.

If, for example, the same sex marriage legislation was put to a public referendum with the question 'Should same sex couples be allowed to marry?'

Would you have voted 'Yes' or 'No'?

I would have abstained

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 15:03 ----------

Britain should no longer be a country that tolerates people that pull it to bits.

Why doesn't the OP sod off and go and live somewhere that suits him?

yes some of us would love to live else where but some countries don't like us because we are white and British !!! and don't like our government choices, Probably because they have higher values in certain areas than we do?

Edited by teeny

I would have abstained

Why wouldn't you have wanted to show your support, how did you put it?

'I believe we should be loving and show compassion to everyone regardless of what they believe , how they behave , show love and give them a positive reaction its speaks louder than words.'

secularism wont happen as many in the government are of one faith or another.

You really should look up "secularism" in a dictionary. It does't mean what you appear to think it does. Many secularists are deeply religious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularism

" ...this can refer to reducing ties between a government and a state religion, replacing laws based on scripture (such as Halakha and Sharia law) with civil laws, and eliminating discrimination on the basis of religion."

Edited by redwhine

secularism wont happen as many in the government are of one faith or another.
Secularism has been one of the pillars of socio-legal governance in France since 1789 (-give or take).

Has worked perfectly well since that time, and still does.

As perfect an example of the K-I-S-S principle as I've seen in a legislative context: no need to worry about any theocrats lobbying for "special minority status"-this and "special minority exemptions"-that and whatnot, they are all told to do one just the same :thumbsup:

Bonus point: there's no need of any political correctness or sensitivities about it either (just point them to the Constitution) :D

Edited by L00b

to me there is no such thing as secularism we live life and how we live our lies is very much effects us in our work lives in every aspect of that , I am a Christian in the work place as I am at home . For me somebody can be deeply religious but not be who they say they are so you will need to excuse me if I disagree with you on the subject

Why wouldn't you have wanted to show your support, how did you put it?

'I believe we should be loving and show compassion to everyone regardless of what they believe , how they behave , show love and give them a positive reaction its speaks louder than words.'

true but I am not judging if they should or shouldn't I am not sure how that is relevant to this thread ?

Secularism preaches nothing, cannot be misinterpreted and does not coerce people into holding a particular view or behaving in a certain way. Secularism encourages free thought and religions discourages it.

The largest secular state in the world is China. Now I'd like to see you argue that China doesn't coerce people into holding particular views and encourages free thoughts.

true but I am not judging if they should or shouldn't I am not sure how that is relevant to this thread ?

You've highlighted previously why you'd want this country to be run based on Christianity, yet you can't even bring yourself to agree that everyone should have equal rights. In this case, the right for same sex couples to get married.

Why would anyone want to be a part of that society where some are given fewer rights than others?

Edited by SnailyBoy

The largest secular state in the world is China. Now I'd like to see you argue that China doesn't coerce people into holding particular views and encourages free thoughts.

China's not secular! I personally have met people whose families have fled China due to being persecuted for being members of a minority religion. That's failing the absolute basic test of secularism, 'freedom to practise whatever religion you choose'. The UK has bishops sitting in the house of lords yet we're way better than China for that kind of thing, hence why they fled here. The US is a far better example of a secular state.

So many idiots like you and teeny think being secular just means 'no religion', it's shocking really.

Edited by flamingjimmy