Britain should no longer be a Christian country.

Does it matter?

Is there any reason why we can't just count our blessings / and / or / thank a deity of our choice, without giving offence to anyone?

Just because man made religion causes no end of trouble, we shouldn't neglect our spiritual dimension which is all encompassing.

Our blessings, such as they are, come from the efforts of our countrymen and women. Sky pixies did not civilise a quarter of the globe, invent more things per capita than any country in history or beat the boxheads 2-0 at world wars. Britons did.

If you must worship, worship them.

Does it matter?

Yes. (If it doesn't matter, why bother?)

Is there any reason why we can't just count our blessings / and / or / thank a deity of our choice, without giving offence to anyone?

Yes. It offends jesus...

(Matthew)6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Just because man made religion causes no end of trouble, we shouldn't neglect our spiritual dimension which is all encompassing.

Please provide evidence that there is a "spiritual dimension". (That which is claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.)

Yes. (If it doesn't matter, why bother?)

Yes. It offends jesus...

(Matthew)6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Please provide evidence that there is a "spiritual dimension". (That which is claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.)

For me, life has a spiritual dimension, if not for you. That's OK. Each to their own.

However counting one's blessings, or remembering to be grateful for what you have, is proven to be good for our mental health.

Making time for it a few times a day seems like a good idea to me.

For me, life has a spiritual dimension, if not for you. That's OK. Each to their own.

There either is or is not a spiritual dimension. "Each to their own" is nonsense.

However counting one's blessings, or remembering to be grateful for what you have, is proven to be good for our mental health.

Citation?

Making time for it a few times a day seems like a good idea to me.

Knock yourself out.

Edited by redwhine

Their either is or is not a spiritual dimension. "Each to their own" is nonsense.

Citation?

Knock yourself out.

Your stance seems somewhat confrontational. I just don't understand why?

I don't understand how anyone can deal only in certainties.

I take it you're a militant athiest. In which case you have more than you would probably wish for, in common with fundamentalists everywhere.

You make it sound like none stop worship, but it used to be normal in most schools, never mind faith schools.

A prayer in morning assembly.

Grace at lunchtime giving thanks for the food you eat.

And a quick prayer at home time

More like counting your blessings. Never did me any harm.

But the question then is.. did it do you any good? If not then it is pointless.

Does it matter?

It matters because children are being taught that pretending to know things they don't know is a good thing.

Secular law may forbid certain things. Whether they are religiously motivated or not, there are rules. That doesn't mean that you ban the religion itself. You just hold the faithful to the same rules as everybody else.

I was responding sarcastically (Jeffrey is a supporter of ritual infant mutilation) to the question about why any religion would need sanctioning.

---------- Post added 25-01-2016 at 09:42 ----------

You make it sound like none stop worship, but it used to be normal in most schools, never mind faith schools.

A prayer in morning assembly.

Grace at lunchtime giving thanks for the food you eat.

And a quick prayer at home time

More like counting your blessings. Never did me any harm.

Unfortunately, in some cases, it does (indirectly) do harm by assisting indoctrination.

It matters because children are being taught that pretending to know things they don't know is a good thing.

As I child I knew that God was there , I have grown in my faith other the years . My parents where Christians , they didn't force me to believe as I have never forced my into believing I found Jesus for myself , I made the choice to follow him, I am not indoctrinated , I know when I give you the gospel its true , I have seen Him in my life in many small ways and in the big ways. I have already told you this many times

here is some other people who think the same :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8CxMzF5-r8

Edited by teeny

Your stance seems somewhat confrontational. I just don't understand why?

This is a public forum. Why post your opinions if you don't want people to comment on them? :huh:

I don't understand how anyone can deal only in certainties.

Me too. :banana:

I take it you're a militant athiest.

I'm not even an athiest, let alone a militant one (...whatever that means. Care to elaborate?)

In which case you have more than you would probably wish for, in common with fundamentalists everywhere.

Now who's confrontational? ;):hihi::hihi::hihi:

How are you doing with the evidence for, "However counting one's blessings, or remembering to be grateful for what you have, is proven to be good for our mental health." or were you just making it up?