Britain should no longer be a Christian country.

Secularism isn't a replacement for Christianity, it is for Christianity and all other religions and worldviews, that's the whole point.

The points you make though are relevant. I don't agree with all the predictions about Muslims taking over this country but imagine for a second that Islam does become the most subscribed to religion in this country?

Wouldn't it be good if we had secularism embedded into our laws in a solid way so that we could stop Sharia law happening?

I think you underestimate the power of rampant fundamentalism.

I'm sure the majority of Muslims don't want fundamentalism in Syria, but they're getting it whether they want it or not.

I'm sure the majority of Muslims don't want fundamentalism in Syria, but they're getting it whether they want it or not.

If Christianity is in decline (seems to be, thankfully), and if fundamentalism is on the rise (unfortunately), surely you'd argue that we need ever stronger secularism codified into law?

Can you describe the process that will bring 'rampant fundamentalism' to be the basis of Government in this country?

If Christianity is in decline (seems to be, thankfully), and if fundamentalism is on the rise (unfortunately), surely you'd argue that we need ever stronger secularism codified into law?

Secularism hasn't saved Turkey. Although it was brought in very deliberately for all the right reasons by Attaturk back in the 1920's and is enshrined in law and the political system, it's now gone into reverse and is going back to more fundamentalist Islamic views, again not welcomed or voted for by the majority, but happening countrywide nonetheless.

I think that comparing Syria to the UK right now is pretty out there, and a distraction.

Holding on to Christianity and the Christian traditions of this country is not important. Embedding secularism into our laws and culture is, much more so.

---------- Post added 25-01-2016 at 19:51 ----------

Secularism hasn't saved Turkey. Although it was brought in very deliberately for all the right reasons by Attaturk back in the 1920's and is enshrined in law and the political system, it's now gone into reverse and is going back to more fundamentalist Islamic views, again not welcomed or voted for by the majority, but happening countrywide nonetheless.

Yeah it's gone a bit badly in Turkey, and it certainly can go wrong, nothing can guarantee religious freedom for all time.

But I think it's a little different in Turkey where as you say Attaturk very deliberately introduced it, and so it happened in a top down sort of way.

In the UK possibly thanks to being a democracy for centuries our secularism has evolved from the bottom up, so is more deeply embedded. We just need to finish the job.

Hang on a moment, you've just contradicted what you was saying about Turkey a couple of days ago here. You described it as being a economically strong and secular with a modern out look.

The people who sadly died the other day, were crossing from Turkey, along with many other people.

But Turkey is not under attack, and is economically strong compared to many other places in the area. People are safe there. Why are they still trying to get to places like Britain? And are they really refugees, or economic migrants. Turkey is a huge, secular country and relatively modern in outlook. They don't need to make these perilous crossings.

Hang on a moment, you've just contradicted what you was saying about Turkey a couple of days ago here. You described it as being a economically strong and secular with a modern out look.

Yes, you got me. But Turkey is at a critical stage, poised to go either way. But I think it still goes to show that secularism as much as anything else can still be overthrown by both creeping peer pressure as well as determined despots.

I responded to a truth claim by someone else. I think it's important to believe as many true things as possible, based on reason, rationality and evidence.

A secular Government would be able to make their decisions without interference from representatives who don't base their decision making on reason, rationality and evidence.

Don't you think that's important?

I believe the bibles promise for the earth

The righteous will possess the earth, and they will live forever on it.”Psalm 37:29