Britain should no longer be a Christian country.

I'm not a religious person, but I do believe there is more to the world than we can see, - a spiritual dimension for want of better language. Totally non-denominational.

I can't prove anything, and it's no good quoting Bible verses at me, (I think there are far too many people arguing over that already,) I think religion and theological arguments, while very interesting to discuss, have caused a great deal of harm in the world by powerful 'religious' people insisting that only their interpretation is the correct one. (Where is their humility?) But that is man's doing, not God's.

But still I believe in something - it's called faith. I can't see why that choice would upset anybody. I have no problem with anyone who thinks differently, so why do some of them have such a problem with people like me?

The kind of language that is used sometimes is very insulting. However if we do have to have a National religion, (and I think we do) then I too think it should be our benign, 'wishy-washy' all encompassing Church of England. And when Prince Charles is crowned King, (don't get me started,) he has said that he wants to be the 'Defender of Faiths' rather than 'Defender of the Faith' which I think is a satisfactory and totally British compromise.

Would it be fair to say that you want to believe in something despite not knowing if it's true?

I'm not a religious person, but I do believe there is more to the world than we can see, - a spiritual dimension for want of better language. Totally non-denominational.

Is there any reason as to why you believe this?

I can't prove anything, and it's no good quoting Bible verses at me, (I think there are far too many people arguing over that already,) I think religion and theological arguments, while very interesting to discuss, have caused a great deal of harm in the world by powerful 'religious' people insisting that only their interpretation is the correct one. (Where is their humility?) But that is man's doing, not God's.

But still I believe in something - it's called faith. I can't see why that choice would upset anybody. I have no problem with anyone who thinks differently, so why do some of them have such a problem with people like me?

The kind of language that is used sometimes is very insulting. However if we do have to have a National religion, (and I think we do) then I too think it should be our benign, 'wishy-washy' all encompassing Church of England. And when Prince Charles is crowned King, (don't get me started,) he has said that he wants to be the 'Defender of Faiths' rather than 'Defender of the Faith' which I think is a satisfactory and totally British compromise.

Why do you think we have to have a national religion?

Our Governement has active Christians within all the main parties , there is also a group of these in parliament who meet daily to pray for this country. You cannot have a truly secular government as Christians come from all walks of life . I dislike the use of state religion, faith is faith , you cannot change that faith which people have . God is for us so we should allow him to have his hand upon the nation , just as out for fathers have prayed , who have gone before us . Only fools would leave God out of Government . That will show in how the country we live in becomes weaker without God.

Our Governement has active Christians within all the main parties , there is also a group of these in parliament who meet daily to pray for this country. You cannot have a truly secular government as Christians come from all walks of life . I dislike the use of state religion, faith is faith , you cannot change that faith which people have . God is for us so we should allow him to have his hand upon the nation , just as out for fathers have prayed , who have gone before us . Only fools would leave God out of Government . That will show in how the country we live in becomes weaker without God.

What about those who have no religion. Or those who follow a religion of another god. Or those who follow a religion of many gods. Or those who follow a religion with no god. Are they all to be relegated to second class status?

What exactly do you think the word 'secular' means? :suspect:

Faith = pretending to know something you don't know.

I'd rather have a Government that uses reason and evidence.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 10:14 ----------

Maybe you could consider an alternative scenario. How eager would you be for a secular Government?

Our Governement has active Hindus within all the main parties , there is also a group of these in parliament who meet daily to pray for this country. You cannot have a truly secular government as Hindus come from all walks of life . I dislike the use of state religion, faith is faith , you cannot change that faith which people have . Vishnu is for us so we should allow him to have his hand upon the nation , just as out for fathers have prayed , who have gone before us . Only fools would leave Vishnu out of Government . That will show in how the country we live in becomes weaker without Vishnu.

Emphasis mine...

So you say that you have no problems with people of different opinions - as long as they think the same as you and have the same national religion as you...

And you wonder why you have problems with some people? The reason is you are being dogmatic and forcing people into your world view, and yes, people like me do find that very insulting. Don't do it.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 10:34 ----------

Faith = pretending to know something you don't know.

I'd rather have a Government that uses reason and evidence.

Wouldn't that be nice.

We can but hope however....

Only fools would leave God out of Government . That will show in how the country we live in becomes weaker without God.

Whose god?

The righteous will possess the earth, and they will live forever on it.”Psalm 37:29

When is this likely to happen as there seems to be an awful lot of religions that believe this and some of them have been around for thousands of years?