Britain should no longer be a Christian country.

I've always liked Frith
A bit too abstract and devoid of humour for my liking, I'm afraid.

I'll stick with Hedone. This is Hedone (in her current incarnation in our dimension and time).

Now if you'd mentioned the FSM, though, I just could be swayed...I mean, was there ever any cooler religious order than pirates, I ask you?!?

Edited by L00b

I always ask this question in these discussions and never get an answer:

Having decided that there is a god/gods running the show, how do you pick one?

There are so many to choose from.

I always liked Odin.

Don't you think all religions probably have the same God, but use different names for him?

I'm not even sure thinking of him as a person is correct although it makes a useful mental image. I think of it more as a benign, conscious energy.

What do we want? Evidence based policy decisions!

When do we want it? After peer review!

From John Stewart's rally to restore sanity (and/or fear). Very good. :hihi:

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 18:09 ----------

Don't you think all religions probably have the same God, but use different names for him?

No.

We get a lot of exposure to YHWH (the god of Abraham). Christians and Muslims are clearly praying to the god of the Jews.

But there are plenty of others and you'll have a job to make any meaningful case that they're somehow the same.

I'm not even sure thinking of him as a person is correct although it makes a useful mental image. I think of it more as a benign, conscious energy.

Ah a deist. You're probably harmless. Since you make no claim to know the mind(s) of the god(s), you don't need to answer my previous question.

Still not the slightest shred of evidence that the universe is run by one or more conscious beings. The evidence clearly points it being a matter of spontaneous cosmogenesis followed by adherence to a set of rules.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 18:14 ----------

Now if you'd mentioned the FSM, though, I just could be swayed...I mean, was there ever any cooler religious order than pirates, I ask you?!?

May he poke you with his noodly appendage.

Edited by unbeliever

This is one of the arguments many theists use (not necessarily yourself), either out of unawareness/naivety or just ignorance. No, all religions don't have the same god (or gods), the three Abrahamic religions (and all their denominations) barely even have the same God.

Thinking that all religions have the same god seems to reassure some theists that they're all on one side of the fence while atheists are on the other. This is not the case, a Christian believes in Ganesh, Chronos, Rah, etc as much as an atheist does (which is not at all).

It's more like each group of theists has their own fence around them, separating them from the other groups while the atheists stroll freely without any fences.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 18:33 ----------

I wonder if this thread will last any longer than 90 pages before it gets closed?

It's funny, a few pages back I mentioned you'd probably show up hoping to get the thread closed :roll:

That post (of mine) was mysteriously removed.

Edited by RootsBooster