Britain should no longer be a Christian country.

Then the established anglican church is even less relevant to UK christians and they won't miss it.

I think as we have a strong Christian monarch that will take a while as she is queen , she may not have powers but Government will listen to her views Not so sure what will happen when Prince Charles becomes King but we will see in the future, History dictates that we should remain a Christian country.

I think as we have a strong Christian monarch that will take a while as she is queen , she may not have powers but Government will listen to her views Not so sure what will happen when Prince Charles becomes King but we will see in the future, History dictates that we should remain a Christian country.

How does history dictate that we should remain a christian country?

History dictates nothing.

Convention may suggest it.

I agree. but in this country we're very laid back/lazy about attending church, as many people assume they are already opted in to Christianity by virtue of being Christened soon after birth. They also live under the umbrella of the Church of England so it's considered a done deal.

They also (some/many) don't actually believe in any god. I've known a few, indeed I had an employee who identified himself as C of E and wore a gold crucifix, yet didn't believe in any god and had a dislike of 'bible bashers' or anyone religious. I have a relative who doesn't believe in any god but counts himself a Christian.

Go back just a few years and nearly everybody would tick the C of E box, even if they hardly ever set foot in a church, except for Christenings, marriages and funerals. Not the right attitude maybe, but try taking their C of E status away from them and you might have more of a fight on your hands than you imagine.

Yeah, you might not have so much of a fight though.

There's several new churches started up .

And this is one called Christ Embassy run by a Pastor from a country that thinks its OK to practice FGM.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/application-to-turn-office-unit-into-place-of-worship-1-7695329

Do you agree that a church like this should carry on in Sheffield especially as this church is already tainted with controversy.

http://saharareporters.com/2014/09/01/divorce-scandal-anita-oyakhilome%E2%80%99s-name-removed-christ-embassy-church-website

Its a bit like the Ebola and God cured me claim as this pastor also believes that faith healing can cure HIV. Mind you its probably a bit better than the Nigerian email scams we are used to.

There are also many other articles like this.

And this is one called Christ Embassy run by a Pastor from a country that thinks its OK to practice FGM.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/application-to-turn-office-unit-into-place-of-worship-1-7695329

Do you agree that a church like this should carry on in Sheffield especially as this church is already tainted with controversy.

http://saharareporters.com/2014/09/01/divorce-scandal-anita-oyakhilome%E2%80%99s-name-removed-christ-embassy-church-website

Its a bit like the Ebola and God cured me claim as this pastor also believes that faith healing can cure HIV. Mind you its probably a bit better than the Nigerian email scams we are used to.

There are also many other articles like this.

Do you mean pastor Chris ? Not sure of his teaching but as far as I am aware he doesn't believe in FMG he does believe that Jesus can heal :

this is his statement of his faith :This is the statement of Bible doctrine as believed and taught by the Believers’ LoveWorld Inc. aka Christ Embassy. This statement of faith has its source in the Bible and is in total agreement with the foundational principles of the doctrines of Christ. We believe that the Bible contains the inspired and infallible Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1: 20-21)

We believe that there is only one God eternally existent in three persons; God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost. (Ephesians 4:5-6, Gen. 1:26, Matthew 3:16-17)

We believe in the deity of Christ. (John 1: 1-4; John 10:30; Hebrews 1:1-5)

a. He was born of a virgin (Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 1:30-35)

b. He was conceived of the Holy Ghost (Matthew 1:18-25, Luke 1:30-35)

c. He died (John 19:30-35)

d. He rose again from the dead bodily (John 20:25-29, Luke 24:36-40)

e. He ascended into heaven bodily (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Matthew 29-30)

We believe in the rapture of the church and the Second coming of Christ.

(1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Matthew 29-30)

We believe that the only means of being cleansed from sin is repentance and faith in the precious blood of Jesus (Acts 3:19, Luke 24:47; Ephesians 1:7)

We believe regeneration by the power of the Holy Spirit through the Word of God is essential for personal salvation (Titus 2:5, John 3:3-5, Ephesians 5:25-27)

We believe that the redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides divine healing for the body, salvation for the soul of everyone that believes. (1 Peter 2: 24; Acts 3: 16, Acts 9: 32 -35)

We believe that when an individual receives the Holy Ghost, he receives divine enablement for Christian service and witness. (Acts 1: 8; 2:4; 3:1 -26; 4:5 – 12)

We believe in the sanctifying power of the Holy Ghost. (Romans 15: 16; 1 Corinthians 6:11)

We believe in the final resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the former to eternal life and the latter to eternal judgement. (Revelations 20: 11 -15; 1 Corinthians 15: 12 – 23)

not all people in Nigeria Believe that FMG s right nd certainly not all practice this

Edited by teeny

Do you mean pastor Chris ? Not sure of his teaching but as far as I am aware he doesn't believe in FMG he does believe that Jesus can heal :

this is his statement of his faith :This is the statement of Bible doctrine as believed and taught by the Believers’ LoveWorld Inc. aka Christ Embassy. This statement of faith has its source in the Bible and is in total agreement with the foundational principles of the doctrines of Christ. We believe that the Bible contains the inspired and infallible Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1: 20-21)

We believe that there is only one God eternally existent in three persons; God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost. (Ephesians 4:5-6, Gen. 1:26, Matthew 3:16-17)

We believe in the deity of Christ. (John 1: 1-4; John 10:30; Hebrews 1:1-5)

a. He was born of a virgin (Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 1:30-35)

b. He was conceived of the Holy Ghost (Matthew 1:18-25, Luke 1:30-35)

c. He died (John 19:30-35)

d. He rose again from the dead bodily (John 20:25-29, Luke 24:36-40)

e. He ascended into heaven bodily (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Matthew 29-30)

We believe in the rapture of the church and the Second coming of Christ.

(1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Matthew 29-30)

We believe that the only means of being cleansed from sin is repentance and faith in the precious blood of Jesus (Acts 3:19, Luke 24:47; Ephesians 1:7)

We believe regeneration by the power of the Holy Spirit through the Word of God is essential for personal salvation (Titus 2:5, John 3:3-5, Ephesians 5:25-27)

We believe that the redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides divine healing for the body, salvation for the soul of everyone that believes. (1 Peter 2: 24; Acts 3: 16, Acts 9: 32 -35)

We believe that when an individual receives the Holy Ghost, he receives divine enablement for Christian service and witness. (Acts 1: 8; 2:4; 3:1 -26; 4:5 – 12)

We believe in the sanctifying power of the Holy Ghost. (Romans 15: 16; 1 Corinthians 6:11)

We believe in the final resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the former to eternal life and the latter to eternal judgement. (Revelations 20: 11 -15; 1 Corinthians 15: 12 – 23)

not all people in Nigeria Believe that FMG s right nd certainly not all practice this

Oh I dearly wish I had the time to pull your Bible verses apart.

Unfortunately I don't, nor will I have for several weeks, but I will say that half of those things you are claiming as Christian doctrine aren't actually explicitly stated in the Bible and are 'interpreted', some of them rather badly from those Biblical verses.

>Snip<

Bilbo Baggins acquired the One Ring. (The Hobbit.)

Frodo Baggins took the One Ring to Mordor. (The Lord Of The Rings.)

With the "assistance" of Smeagol/Gollum, he destroyed the One Ring in Mount Doom. (The Return Of The King.)

“A nation which thinks that it is belief in God and not good law which makes people honest does not seem to me very advanced.” (Denis Diderot)

“The most dangerous madmen are those created by religion, and ... people whose aim is to disrupt society always know how to make good use of them on occasion.” (Denis Diderot)

Edited by redwhine

Do you mean pastor Chris ?

Yes that the man, more info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Oyakhilome

Notice he received his two honorary degrees from Universities set up in Nigeria.

A bit about how to get an honorary degree and what they represent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree

Maybe he could openly denounce FGM especially as he is from a country that has a very high take-up of the practice. Maybe he could also explain where all the millions in contributions to his church go.

This is just one example why Britain should no longer be a Christian country as religious frauds abound and churches like this should not be welcomed here.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2016/01/could-secularism-be-britains-salvation

It seems ludicrous to suggest that the vast majority of British people – regardless of their religious beliefs – have anything other than a secular, or at least 'secularish', outlook. We may not yet be a secular state, but poll after poll has shown that the British public – including religious believers – support secularist principles.

As the writer Myriam Francois-Cerrah rightly points out, "Britain is already deeply secular country.The exception is the Church of England and the privileges it continues to enjoy".

Let's look at the polling. A whopping 81% of us agree with the statement: "Religious practice is a private matter and should be separated from the political and economic life of my country". More of us oppose than support the idea of the UK having an official state religion. 58% of the adult population oppose faith schools. British citizens (including churchgoers) overwhelmingly reject the Church's position on abortion, assisted dying and same-sex marriage.

This all points towards strong support for secularist principles.

Growing irreligiosity and the emergence of other faiths in the UK demands that we urgently rethink the role of religion in public life. Do we accommodate Islam (with its political ambitions) and all the other minority religions and give them equal footing with Anglicanism – or do we start building a wall of separation between religion and state? I propose the latter.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 07:36 ----------

http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2015/01/gp-taylor--why-faith-has-no-place-in-our-schools

The trouble with many faiths is that they are quite divisive. By their very nature, they work on the principle that they are the right and only way to God and every other way is wrong or flawed.

Many teach beliefs that are contrary to the views of the society in which we live. How can a faith school teach that all faiths are equal when the theology of that faith demands its followers to believe that they are the only true way to God?

Christianity and Islam both state this very clearly and don't believe anyone who says that is not the case.

Only seven per cent of the population attend church on a regular basis, so why is it that schools up and down the country should act as recruiting agents for God?

This is an outdated and quite farcical concept. Many teachers find it difficult to maintain a balance in their approach and some find the whole idea very uncomfortable.

I believe that the only place for faith in our schools is as a subject delivered on the same level as maths and science. It is important that it is still taught and should be compulsory for every student to learn, but as a factual and not spiritual discipline.

Religious beliefs should not be forced upon anyone and should always be discussed in an age appropriate and sensitive manner.

Religious practice in schools often has a detrimental effect on students and pushes them away from exploring the concept of God rather than opening their minds to it.

In the age of rising fundamentalism, it is important that any aspect other than the academic study of faiths is stripped from our education system. Students should be free to learn about perceived beliefs in an environment of critical study and analysis.

Religious dogmas and outdated cultural concepts have to be allowed to be challenged and not received as absolute truths.

Secularism in schools will become a necessity for future generations. Schools will have to become places of intellectual safety and out of the control of religious groups with vested interests.

Edited by redwhine